Sunday, January 29, 2006

Serious Procrastination

This will be quick because I was supposed to be studying all day, and it's now 6:45pm, and I haven't cracked a book open yet. I have an Arabic test tomorrow, but I'm not overly concerned. I'm also supposed to be doing a lot of reading that I haven't done yet, but I do have the evening ahead of me. Ahh, the joys of working under pressure. (insert Freddie Mercury singing.. "under pressure... doo do do daa dee" --- a la Vanilla Ice later on).

Anyway, whatever, I am rambling. I had a good weekend. Went to a grad student happy hour on Friday night that was absolutely packed with people, to my surprise. I thought it would be dork central, but it was refreshingly decent with some fun looking people there. Lindsey and Shauna didn't have quite as much fun as me though, and they pulled me away around 8pm. So we came back to my humble abode, invited our classmate Christina over, and played my new card game from Christmas, "Pirate's Loot" and some Boggle as well. A rocking Friday night if ever there was one!

Then on Saturday, Shauna invited me on a picnic up to Mt. Lemmon with her new man "Rouzbeh" and his friends, Farauz and Farsheed (I haven't a clue how to spell these names). Farauz is a bit husky and a little older (ahem, 27) and plays classical guitar very well. Farsheed is a bit edgier, and to be frank, he's really sort of right off the boat, having arrived from Iran only 6 months ago. Interesting to say the least. It was sort of a day out of Iran except that we were still in Arizona (ie: Persian spoken about 50% of the time, Persian music in the car on the drive up the mountain, Persian singing at the picnic site). And if you've ever been to the Middle East (esp. in mountainous areas like Turkey, or Iran) you will know that picnicking is a popular weekend activity. Especially grilling. Which is exactly what we did -- a delicious mix of ground beef kebab and a steak and saffron kebab were the offerings (more red meat than I have eaten in years), and the most tasty salad ever --- known as Shirazi salad -- with the usual mix of cucumbers, red onion, tomato, and a zing of lime juice and olive oil. Ahh, delicious!

I had to do some serious laundry this morning, however, to eradicate the scent of burning pine wood from my clothes. Today, I didn't do much except hit the swimming pool (as usual). Otherwise, I have been hibernating in my studio apartment, cleaning the floors, kitchen, and bathroom, and just blathering around.

Ta-ta for now!

No comments: