Thursday, June 01, 2006

Another mom food foible

Today my mom made me lunch to take to work. As she is home from work this week following foot surgery, I'm living the life of children with "stay at home moms" -- and one of the bennies is that my mom makes my lunch. This morning before work, I asked her to to cook a small pizza in the toaster oven that I could then take to work and have for lunch (nothing like cold pizza!). My mom did so, put it in my lunch sack, and sent me off to work with a small peck on the cheek.

Upon opening my lunch bag today, and then unwrapping the little cooked pizza, I discovered that my mom had actually cooked the cardboard under the pizza in the oven with the pizza. Thus, a charred piece of cardboard had to be removed from the odd smelling pizza, and the uncooked pizza bottom (that remained white dough) stared back at me after I peeled off the cooked-on paper.

As the true daughter of my mother, I shrugged off the cardboard odor and uncooked pizza dough, and bit into the pizza. It was hideous. The cooked cardboard flavor that seeped into the pizza left such a bad aftertaste that I had to run to the cafeteria to buy a drink to mask the bad flavor in my mouth.

However, not wanting to "waste food," I must admit that I actually finished the horrible thing. I think this might be a form of mental illness brought on by years of ignoring food quality. Help?

No comments: