Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Worst Hair on Planet Earth (plus bonus material)

I got my hair totally chopped off last Saturday, and when I say chopped off, I really mean it. It's about 1.5" in length at the longest. In fact, it hasn't been this short since I was about 25 years old. At first I was kind of in shock, even though I asked the guy to do it, but now I love it and am so happy that I am back to my youthful-looking self.

Sorry I don't have a picture yet to share, but I do have this lovely photo circa 1988 of my hair at its worst possible point in history...


AKA "The Enormo-roll Bangs" and bad perm combo

WTF was I thinking? I look like someone straight out of a trailer park working at Winn-Dixie.

And FYI, that was my old horse, Cricket, that I had in junior high and early high school. Too bad the profile view of my hair supercedes anything even remotely handsome about the animal.

On two other topics this evening:

1. I have a new historical obsession... John Wilkes Booth and Lincoln's Assassination. Miguel got this book for me at the library, and I have been literally obsessing over it for the past three days:



Tonight my mom and I went to the National Museum of Women in the Arts to see a new exhibit on aboriginal art, and afterwards, as we were leaving the museum, I realized that we were right in the heart of John Wilkes Booth territory circa 1865 (ie: H and 11th Sts.). I made her wait on a street corner with me while I fished the book out of my bag, found the requisite maps and hunted for old boarding houses that Booth once visited.


My latest crush...

However, the big news is that this weekend (Sunday to be exact), Miguel and I are going on a Smithsonian-sponsored bus tour called
"Booth's Escape Route" that tracks Booth's trail after he shot Lincoln (if you click on the link, you will see that we have the privilege of dining with the tour group at "Captain Billy's Crabhouse"... sounds like good eatin'!!). It runs from 8am until 8pm and goes all over the DC area and is guided by a Civil War expert named Ed Bearss. I have little doubt that we will be the only people along under the age of 55, but what the hell... history nerds unite!!!


Our guide, Mr. Ed Bearss, representing the average age of the group tour participant...

And finally... a bit of work humor:

2) I had an interesting moment yesterday when boarding the elevator to head up to my office after fetching my morning coffee from the cafeteria. Upon getting on the lift, I placed the small back heel of my sandal ever so perfectly in the gap between the elevator and the ground floor. When I went to lift my foot, there was no movement, as my sandal was wedged expertly between these two elements. Like a complete dork, I immediately began struggling to lift my foot up, making my foot turn purple as I heaved my weight up against the two small straps of leather.


The site of my personal horror story...

Luckily for me, the elevator was packed with people watching me flail around like a trapped animal, waiting for the elevator door to come slamming closed on my leg and forever documenting me in CNN's "Offbeat News" category as "Woman Loses Leg in Elevator Accident." You know, the girl you all talk about in the mornings as you read the internet at work (instead of working), commenting over your cubicle walls with wonder in your voice, "How does something like that happen? Oh my..."


In the end, some nice man did have the common sense to hit the "Door Open" button, and I was able to extricate my foot from my shoe, and then my shoe heel from the floor-elevator gap. And my shoe wasn't even ruined! Hurray! It was a bit of an awkward ride up to the 6th floor though.
And on that note, I go to bed...

No comments: