Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Work Uniforms

In case you hadn't gathered from my last blog entry, I am a public transportation whore this summer.

Today, as I rode the bus home from work, I looked around me at other passengers on the packed vessel and realized that a) I was the only person reading (still working on the intellectual literary masterpiece entitled, "The Devil Wears Prada"), b) I was the only person not wearing some kind of "work uniform," c) I was the only person who didn't have thick black hair, and d) I was the only person who could speak unaccented English.

For a fleeting moment, I thought I might actually have been teleported to Guatemala City and put on this bus:



Hey, speaking of old work uniforms, I think it's time for another blast from my past... it's the weekly 80s picture update!!!

Anyone remember me mentioning that I used to work at Domino's Pizza? FYI: I was a phone answerer extraordinaire... and no, I did not brown nose my cheesy and lame boss at the time... appropriately named Rob... in order to make the promotion to "pizza maker" like the other hussies who worked there... ah yeah, no thanks, I plodded along at the lowest rung of the company ladder for a solid two years... with only a 25 cent raise in that entire time. I must have been a pretty sucky employee. I am pretty sure I didn't like the job too much or have any wild ambitions about owning my own franchise one day.

So here I am, grudgingly posing for a photo for my camera-loving mother as I was going to work in 1990...


Note the ever present Tretorn sneakers, the pizza flour marking on my navy pegged pants, and the quinessential "annoyed teenager" face... I was way too cool for that lame job.

Wow, and I still feel like that... I guess some things never change.