Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Fashion Week

It's been a week of beauty and fashion. Not for me, mind you, as I continue to find myself pulling on Ann Taylor sweater sets and Gap skirts every morning before work and then racing to smear a little rouge on my cheeks two minutes before the shuttle bus arrives so I don't look like a paste-colored corpse all day.

No, no... I'm talking about my TV and movie entertainment choices -- namely, my usual Project Runway weekly episode (airing right now!), plus the addition of Miss Universe that was on last weekend and "The Devil Wears Prada," which I finally got around to seeing with my mom tonight after work.


First things first... Miss Universe. I have a bone to pick with Mr. Donald Trump, owner of the grand affair. Hey (the) Donald, why did your judges (ahem, Emmitt Smith?!?) pick the queen of plastic surgery, AKA Miss Puerto Rico, as the winner? Ugggh, I was so annoyed! Nose job, boob job... booooooo!!!!


Phony Beauty

Instead, the clear winner was Miss Japan...

"Kill Bill" Pageant Style...

And she cleaned up well too...

Why didn't she win?

Miguel, his brother, and I were all very irritated that Plastic Puerto Rico won. She sucked.

As for "The Devil Wears Prada," all I have to say is Meryl Streep was great, and the clothes were gorgeous. I didn't think the book was all that well written, but it was entertaining. My one critique about the movie, however, was that it humanized Miranda Priestly too much, while the book had her holding out as sheer bitch all the way until Andi tells her to "f*** off" at the Paris fashion show, which frankly was a lot better ending than the sappy movie ending. Ultimately, I am a realist. C'mon... like the girl actually wins over the bitchy boss? As if...


The meaner, the better...

Anyway, I must get back to my obsessed watching of Project Runway (the episode where they have to dress the cute little dogs!) and then get ready to go to bed. Tomorrow is another day of fabulous government surroundings... including women who -- no joke, I saw this on the elevator last month -- wear dark navy tights with open toed white patent leather sandals (and then white pantyhose with navy open toed sandals the next week) and silly matching headbands a la Hilary Clinton in 1995. Of course, I couldn't stop staring at the hideous fashion faux pas. Please, Tim Gunn, save the government workers...


This is what I'm talking about...

Hillary and the days of the headband... a look still alive and well in US government offices, along with dark tan panty hose and floral Dress Barn garments

And on that note, I am off for some beauty rest.

Oh wait!!! They just booted off poor dumpy little Katherine from Project Runway! Although she lacked pizzazz, I think that arrogant jerk Keith (who refused to dress up his dog) should have gotten the boot. More injustice in the fashion world!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you gave away the end of the movie. I've been waiting for the movie for more than 2 years now, and before I even have a chance to see it, bam - it is ruined.