Thursday, August 03, 2006

Weddings, Babies, DASH bus, and the Oval Office

First... my apologies for this entry's lack of photos --- after about a bazillion attempts to post (amusing) photos to my blog tonight, the blasted website keeps giving me an error message. Hello, annoyance...

Sorry I haven't been around much. Public transportation and the gym really cut into my personal life. Not to mention I have about 800 friends getting married or having babies, and you would not even begin to imagine how much time I have devoted to gift shopping and registry searching. Yes, yes, evil consumerism, I agree, but I don't want to be a slacker friend.

Anyway, the other day, after a long day of work, I stopped at the mall on my way home in search of cookie cutters (yes, goddamn cookie cutters for a wedding gift) at atrociously overpriced Williams Sonoma. Losing all track of time while in bake gear bizarro world, I realized that I missed the last shuttle bus home to Miguel's neighborhood. Since Miguel was late at work (thus unable to pick me up), I had no option but to take the evil DASH bus (recommended slogan: "happily turning your 10 minute commute into 30 minutes of hell!"). Hopping aboard, I found myself touring around the nappier sections of suburban Washington, including vast swaths of the Landmark Mall parking lot, with about 15 unruly black youth and one pimple-faced white teen. The bus also stopped in front of Red Lobster, and a fishy smelling, grease-coated cook took the seat next to mine. Lovely way to end an evening...

On a happier note, my last day of work is next Friday! On a sadder note, I must return to Tucson on August 20. But back to happy... my blogging will definitely pick up again (think daily, oh dear readers!).

Speaking of work, yours truly got a "behind the scenes" White House tour this evening as one of my graduate fellowship bennies. Unfortunately there were no photos allowed, but I am pleased to report that I did indeed see the Oval Office, and it's very large, very cream colored & gold, and frankly, a bit on the boring/stately side. You know, walnut colored wood furniture (blaaah), Federal style couches, and a number of little figurines and antique books that no one actually ever reads. The view out the large window looked lovely, but the interior of the West Wing is about as tan as it gets with all of those old style paintings on the wall of colonial Washington. Government designers are definitely lacking creativity. Tan and brown, tan and brown, tan and brown. Jeesh, can anyone get a little color in here, please?

Otherwise, life is racing by here. Went to a BBQ dinner with about 12 friends at Luis & Nichole's house last Saturday (margaritas, wine, wine, and more wine), then attended my friend Mary's wedding shower last Sunday (ummm, did I mention that everyone I know is birthing or marrying these days?) and caught up with some old friends I haven't seen in a while. Sadly I will miss her wedding b/c I'll be out in AZ. Last night, I met my friend Shane (who's departing for his posting at the US Embassy in Kyrgyzstan tomorrow) for a beer as a farewell, then went to dinner with mom's neighbors (an older couple who seem to have taken a liking to me), and finished up the night watching "Project Runway" with my mother. (Yes, I loved Angela's outfit). And am heading off to eastern Ohio this weekend for my friend Melissa's barn bash wedding on her parents' farm Saturday night. So you see I haven't had much of a chance to breathe lately.


I'm so annoyed about not being able to post photos tonight! I finally downloaded all of my digital camera's pictures and planned to have a photo smorgasbord this evening, but my plan has been stymied.

Bed is calling my name now. I'm knackered (as the Brits would say). Toodles.

ps - To my last commenter, Greg... sorry I ruined the ending of "Devil Wears Prada" for you. And to think I assumed you already had a copy of it in your vast book collection! Now you can just wait for it to come out on Netflix and you won't have to spend that crazy $10 those movie places charge nowadays...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the Oval Office. I got to visit about 5 years back and I thought the same thing.

Good luck back in AZ - I can't wait to hear about your last semester!