Monday, August 28, 2006

The Case of JonBeignet

I personally am a little disappointed that John Mark Karr's DNA didn't match the JonBenet crime scene. He was so freakishly scary that I almost imagined he might have done her in. But alas, it was not true. Today, I clicked on CNN and saw this headline picture about the case...


Let me ask you, what is scarier: the hermaphroditic wanna-be criminal, staring blankly out the window with his polo shirt buttoned up to his neck, or that little claw-like hand in the bottom left of the car window? Is that really a full-grown adult woman's hand?

Finally, on a somewhat unrelated note, I just can't get over the name "JonBenet." I think it's because every time I say it out loud, or in my mind while reading, I think of those beignet doughnut things from New Orleans.

My mom and dad went there once for a romantic getaway (mind closing down to any thoughts related to that topic... plugging ears, closing eyes... ) when I was a kid, and I remember my mom brought back a box of beignet mix that looked just like this... it sat in our cupboard almost untouched for about five years until it got infested with mealworms.


Cafe du Monde is apparently famous for making the unhealthy morning treat.

However, after returning home with the mix, my mom did attempt to make them one time, but she isn't so skilled with the Fry Daddy. Hmmm, that's probably a good thing, actually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That you are able to so casually comment about the delectable goodness that is a beignet from Cafe du Monde speaks to the fact that you have obviously never experienced what can only be described as ethereal.

You are, however, in luck; I am traveling to New Orleans in February. If you like, I can bring you back another box. Looks exactly the same as the one you posted, but once you taste them, you'll understand.

Chickytava said...

I think perhaps Vern has a point. My mother despises sweets so if she actually bought a box of this stuff and brought it back to our house in Maryland, they must have been pretty good. Sadly, she was unable to recreate the authentic French Quarter taste.