Sunday, August 27, 2006

Job Hunting and Goth Watching

My first weekend in Tucson... dinner at Shauna's with some girls from my department on Friday night, job searching on Saturday, and a great night out last night with some new friends here. Today: homework.

Yes, it's true... I'm looking for a job. After moping around my apartment all week with not enough to do, I decided I should put my time to good use and at least make a little money. So I got in my car yesterday and drove up to La Encantada, which is an upscale, outdoor mall about 6 miles from my place in the foothills of the mountains that surround Tucson. ..



I've been looking in the paper for jobs, but most of them are food service (umm, no thanks) so I decided that it might be easier to work for a corporate retail giant, where I could have more flexible, daytime hours and work in an air conditioned environment helping people buy things they don't really need. So I got applications for Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Anthropologie, L'Occitane, and Ann Taylor. With the exception of Pottery Barn (which I find rather snooty and grossly overpriced) and Anthropologie (which is generally a little too "girly" for my personal style), I actually shop at all the other stores so the discount could come in handy.

I also found an ad in the paper for the Pima County Sheriff's Office, which is looking for part-time typists to transcribe criminal and witness statements for $11.62/hour. First of all, I am not ashamed to admit that I follow all the latest macabre news stories (ie: Natalee Holloway, Chandra Levy, JonBenet) so I am intrigued by the possibility of getting some interesting criminal gossip in Pima County.


The Bermuda Triangle of intrigue & mystery...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the job situation...

Today I have a shitload of homework to do, and I'm already procrastinating. I was out until 2:45am last night, dancing with my friend Ben and his friends Anna and Ingrid (who are both 30 and non-students!!). Ben was friends last year with my friends Ash and Greg (who have graduated), but Ash sent Ben my e-mail, and Ben invited me out dancing last night. We went to this place called Heart Five in downtown Tucson and danced to techno for much of the night


We also stopped by Asylum (I recommend checking the photo gallery on this website if you have time), which is this total goth bar with people wearing safety pins in their noses, fishnet tights, combat boots, pleather and chains, and all of whom have dyed black hair (personally, I thought Goth passed out of style in the 90's but clearly not in Tucson). Anyway, it was fabulous people watching, and I confess that I totally gawked at the extremely dramatic dance floor participants (hello, "Gene loves Jezebel" meets "Siouxsie & the Banshees") the entire time we were there. The hystrionic antics of emotional pain were intense... ie: heart grabbing, arm swinging, clenched fists, teardrop miming, etc...

This video clip says it all:

I love Southpark...


Also, for a laugh, download this song... "I Am Gothic" by Spray.

I really fit the conformist part last night in my Forever 21 tanktop, DKNY jeans and strappy sandals. I am such a zombie. Anyway, Anna & Ingrid are a blast, and we totally got along like I've known them for years so I'm really looking forward to hanging out with all of them again!!!

Now I really have to go do some work... toodles.

No comments: