Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Photo Smorgasbord, as promised

I finally got the photos to upload so here is a couple of weeks worth of photos...

First, here are pics from my friend Melissa's wedding in Logan, Ohio last weekend (an hour southeast of Columbus, deep in the heart of Appalachia!). She and I lived in the same dorm sophomore year of college and used to drink gin together every now and then on the weekends, and at least once we streaked the dorm hallways before Melissa passed out in the middle of the corridor. Ahhh, fun times. Of course, the smarty pants graduated with a 4.0 in Botany and French. Then she went to the Peace Corps and served in Benin, West Africa before traveling around the world, living in Australia for a while, and is now a French teacher working on her PhD at Ohio University and living in rural Ohio, near where she grew up.

Miguel and I drove west on Saturday morning, went to the wedding that night, and returned Sunday afternoon/evening. We rented a car so as not to put all the mileage and West Virginia mountain stress on Miguel's little Tercel --- and check out the car Hertz gave us... a Mazda 6 sport turbo sedan with a V6 engine.

Miguel was in heaven behind the wheel...


Ummm, yes, I literally took a picture of him behind the wheel.

The car parked at the wedding site...

We aren't used to such nice automative machinery, seeing as we both normally drive jalopies.

Here's where Dave & Melissa got married...

The haybales were the seats, and the daisies mark the altar where they got married. According to a man sitting behind me (told to me after the ceremony), a large yellow spider emerged from the haybale on which I was sitting and crawled right across my hand during the ceremony, but he didn't want to tell me in case I freaked out. Which, ahhh, yes, I sure as hell would have...

Here's the view out over the field from the faux altar...

Melissa's dad owns a 300 acre dairy and cattle farm.

Here's Melissa and her dad right before the wedding...

She's so thrifty... she later told me she got her dress at Spiegel!

At the reception -- the Dance King emerged...

... because no rural Ohio wedding would be complete without him. (And please note the "Dance Queen" perched in her Chevy van throne as well). He specialized in music from Jimmy Hendrix, Bette Midler, Styx, and Lionel Richie. Throw in some "Lady in Red" and "YMCA" too...

Here's the reception site...

... the old hay barn next to the house where she grew up! It looked great with glowing candles, and the food was delicious... a Mediterranean grill with veggies.

Here is the cake cutting...

I love Melissa's face here. Reminds me of our gin drinking in college...

Here we are together...

Dave, Melissa, me, and Miguel.

No -- we are not lesbians...

She just wanted to plant one on me, I guess.

Old friends...

... we met in 1993!!!

The next day, Miguel and I went hiking in the Hocking Hills near Logan...

Here I am in Old Man's Cave.

Miguel too...

We hiked around here for a while before driving home.

I look a little annoyed here...

But I don't remember being crabby that day.

-----------------------------------------------

Mary's Bridal Shower two Sundays ago:

Everyone loves bridal shower games (haha), but this one was actually really fun... why? Well, we got broken into small teams and had to create bridal gowns out of paper towels, toilet paper, and tissue. Sort of an amateur version of Project Runway. My team's creation is on the left, but the winning design is on the right.

And here was my team...

Definitely fashionable but not so crafty were we.

----------------------------------------------

Trip to St. Michael's on the Eastern Shore two Sundays ago:

Hanging out on the swings by the ferry landing. And no, those are not triceps... that is sheer flab.

----------------------------------------------------

John Wilkes Booth Tour -- Eons Ago

A small sampling of our tour group. I love that one lady is taking notes. Very seriously too.

Dork!!!!

Me at my "fat point" this summer. I've lost 5 pounds!

Miguel vs Lincoln...

M is not quite up to Lincoln's stature. But note his fine upper body crafted at the gym. Grrrr...

That's all for tonight... more next time!

No comments: