Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Funny Note About My Mother

If you haven't met my mother before, I must tell you she's a funny little character.


Meems freezing her tootsie off in NYC.

OK, so you know she gave my boyfriend moldy pond water to quench his thirst, eats moldy cheese, and used to make me sandwiches at lunch with moldy bread (moldy portions surreptiously cut off, of course). But she's pretty damn funny...



The story of my childhood lunchtime... "but Penicillin is made from mold! This bread is fine!!"

As you may recall from my blog last winter/spring, my mom decided that after achieving two Master's degrees and a managerial position at a large law firm, she needed to take it down a notch -- err, I mean increase her world knowledge -- by attending bartending school. She graduated last spring with flying colors, earning her official "mixologist" degree and has spent the latter part of the summer (after recovering from foot surgery) pursuing part-time bartending jobs.

She got business cards, in which she calls herself "Hampton on the Rocks" (her last name is Hampton, which she randomly picked after my parents got divorced and she wanted to chuck my dad's last name), and she created a little book in which she placed all of the local DC caterers' information for interviews.

Her perseverence paid off, as
Ridgewells (apparently one of DC's larger catering companies) hired her on the spot, and she had her first job at a Redskins pre-season game in a corporate box suite.

However, turns out (unbeknownst to her until today) she was only a sub that night, as the regular season bartender was on vacation that evening. So what is she doing at the next Redskins game (on Thursday/tonight)? She's running the pastry cart! Bwaaahahahahahaha... I find that freaking hilarious ---getcher donuts!!... dooooonutttts!!....one hot scone here!!... fresh cookies for ya!!

And better yet, guess what gig she has this Saturday afternoon/evening with a different caterer? She will be the bartender at a local Bar Mitzvah!!! Bwaaaaaahahahahaha again!!!!! I laughed so hard on the phone with her tonight that tears formed.

As this Ben Stiller/U2 Bar Mitzvah video says...


Mom, "you have to start somewhere..."

Mazeltov!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Victoria would be an awesome bartender! She is so cute! I love the Ben Stiller skit - too funny - do you think U2 would play my wedding :P