Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Game Show Addict

Another great day...

More or less a repeat of yesterday... babysitting, poolside lounging and swimming afterwards at the rec center, chilling out at home for a bit, then playing "Citadels" at J & A's later this evening.

In order to save money on gas, save natural resources, and help out the environment, I've decided to start biking to my babysitting job, which is about 3.5 miles from my house. I can take a really nice bike trail there through one of Tucson's prettiest neighborhoods, and I almost didn't notice the 102 degree heat today (and believe me, it was close to that even at 7:55 this morning!).

While babysitting (I only had the baby today because the 4-year old goes to day camp on Tues/Thurs), I turned on the television while she was napping. Normally, I read or play around on the computer, but today I discovered that they have digital TV.* More specifically, I discovered that they have "The Game Show Channel."

Have I mentioned that I am a game show freak?

Even better, this morning, there was nothing but old game shows (the best kind!) on the air... the lineup even had "Love Connection" followed by "Let's Make a Deal" and then "Press Your Luck."

Could there be three better shows in a row? I think not.


I used to watch "Love Connection" every afternoon after school with my grandmother in her apartment...

We were rabid Chuck Woolery fans.

On today's episode, every single woman had very stiff looking, feathered hair, and every single man in the date selection videos had a mustache...

This is totally representative.

And remember the whammies on "Press Your Luck"?!?

No whammies, no whammies! I watched that show with my grandmother too.

This was the car that a couple won on "Let's Make a Deal" today ---

... Monty Hall told them it was worth a crazy $6,000! The couple was so thrilled. I wonder what its gas mileage was? It reminded me of the Brady Bunch. My friend Patti's parents also had a wagon like this, and we would ride backwards in the rear seat.

And on a final note, although Tic Tac Dough was not on the Game Show Channel's repertoire this morning, does anyone else remember the show's last segment with the roaring dragon on the blinking tic-tac-toe screen?...


And better yet, does anyone recall the vehicle that the Tic Tac Dough winner received?...

To this day, I cannot see an AMC Eagle and not think of Tic Tac Dough and Wink Martindale. Of course, one rarely sees AMC Eagles anymore, but there is a guy in Tucson who apparently collects them because there are about six parked in front of his house that I ogled at a few months ago. I must admit though, that even as a child, I remember thinking to myself, "Why would you want to win that lame and ugly car?"

* - I know, you TV freaks out there might not believe that I have not once looked at the TV since I started babysitting there in February, but it's true.

FYI: There will be no blog on Wednesday b/c I'm driving up to Phoenix for a family dinner at my mom's cousin Ardith's house. She's inviting her sister and their cousin (also my mom's cousin), Gene and his wife, and a few other second cousins of mine that live up that way. I'm looking forward to meeting the mystery cousin Gene (who is round about 80 now) b/c he's been the "big success" of the family... got his PhD in optical engineering or something mathy like that at U. of Michigan (where my grandmother's family is from) and invented a type of solar-resistant paint that was used by NASA on its space crafts. From what I hear, he's lived pretty well in L.A. for years and recently retired to Phoenix.

1 comment:

JC said...

I used to watch all them shits. In the summer I would watch Press Your Luck Every Day right after The Price is Right. Love Connection came on at like 11:30 at night, so that would be the last thing I would watch before going to bed. Good times.