Sunday, February 12, 2006

Blast from the Past

Yesterday turned out very strangely. I started my morning by heading to an early yoga class with my drill sergeant instructor, Katherine, who is an older woman who should really have been in the Gestapo. Isn't yoga supposed to be relaxing and calming? Not with Katherine! She barks out orders and even smacked my leg when I wasn't moving one of my muscles correctly. One of my big problems is the fact that my hamstrings are about as stretchable as a hunk of petrified wood. So when everyone else is lifting their legs up at a 90 degree angle (or more), I'm laying there like a retard with my foot cocked at a pathetic 45 degree angle, wincing in pain even at that effort. I was definitely not one of the kids in gym class that could do the splits, and I quit my efforts at any sort of gymnastics around the age of 4, when even a somersault proved challenging for me. I won't even go into my dismal performance in ballet, which I also quit within several months of starting. Anyway, yoga is also presenting a challenge for me, but I do like it, and the next day I feel as though I have undergone a serious weightlifting session.

OK, so moving on --- I had the world's most bizarre phone call yesterday. My phone rang in the late afternoon, and when I checked my caller ID, I saw that the number said it was from a 494 area code. I had no idea where that could be, so out of curiosity, I answered it. I heard a foreign accent on the other end asking if he were talking to me... who in the hell could this be? I wondered...
Lo and behold, it turned out to be an old German boyfriend of mine (Marc Breuer for those of you that remember him) ... calling from Germany... that I hadn't spoken to since 1999!!! He and I met at an Air Force/Luftwaffe joint training program in, of all places, southern Arizona about 7 years ago. He was a C-160 Transall pilot doing tactical training, and I was the intel briefer during the training sorties. Anyway, he came to visit me once when I lived out in Seattle, but things ended quite badly, and I thought he was pretty much an ass. Apparently, he felt bad all of these years, and so he looked me up and called me out of the blue to apologize for everything that went wrong and to just say hello and see how I was doing. Pretty shocking to hear from him, to say the least!

Anyway, the interesting thing about Marc is that he got out of the Luftwaffe around 2000 and had to make a decision on whether or not he should apply to Lufthansa and be a commercial pilot or whether he should just take a plunge into something new. He ended up taking the risk, enrolled in audio production school, and now owns a music production studio. He's also in a band called "Mafuba" that plays very loud and totally non-Kit-like music, and his hair is down to his mid-back. It's hard to believe how much some things change in just seven years!! He's also married with a seven month old daughter. Here are some pics of Marc and his band for the truly curious:


Marc's promo picture on his band's website


Marc is the guitarist.



In concert.

No comments: