Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What Would Brian Boitano Do? Go Olympics!

So I'm sitting here at home tonight watching the Winter Olympics, and guess who was in the stands of the men's figure skating short program tonight? Brian Boitano!!!

And guess who met Brian Boitano a couple of years ago at a silent auction in DC? Moi! I met Brian Boitano! He's quite tiny and a bit pale and doesn't look overly "athletic" but then again, 1988 was long time ago... But good lord, who am I to be critical? Look at me in this photo! I look like I weigh about 50 pounds more than I really do ... in fact, I resemble a cow! Eegad, bad picture! But for the sake of celebrity, here is our photo together:


Brian Boitano, 1988 Olympic Gold Medalist, and yours truly. Go Brian!

Let's sing Brian's praises a la South Park:

What would Brian Boitano do
If he was here right now,
He'd make a plan
And he'd follow through,
That's what Brian Boitano'd do.

When Brian Boitano was in the olympics,
Skating for the gold,
He did two sow cows and a triple lutz,
While wearing a blind fold.

When Brian Boitano was in the alps,
Fighting grizzly bears,
He used his magical fire breath,
And saved the maidens fair.

So what would Brian Boitano do
If he were here today,
I'm sure he'd kick an ass or two,
That's what Brian Boitano'd do.

Now here are my final few thoughts on the Olympics (especially for you geeks who are as into watching them as I am):

1. I love the Chinese figure skating couple, Pang and Tong, just because of their names.
2. How about the other Chinese couple where the lady fell and looked like she mangled her knee but then got back on the ice and ended up winning? Very impressive, but their outfits were really garish.
3. I'm liking the pants/tights worn by women in ice skating now, and I think they should ditch those frumpy little skirts. Also, on the whole, I think people should not wear burgandy or brown on the ice. It does nothing for their coloring, and the brown especially looks rather dung-like floating around the white background.
4. NBC is remarkably CHEESY, which is totally unsurprising, but the whole Michelle Kwan memory montage made me want to barf.
5. Bode Miller is an overrated chump.
6. On the other hand, that red-head Shaun White, the snowboarder, is really cool, and I'm glad he won.
7. I love the uber-gay ice skater, Johnny Weir, especially with his dramatic red glove swan short skate. I enjoy that he likes freaking conservative religious people out and even told them to "eat it" in his NBC personal profile.


No comments: