Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sasha chokes again! (Plus a plug for Juan Cole)

I believe this says it all about the Olympics tonight...



My sorrow runs deep. My poor little Sasha choked again... and the Japanese girl was not even all that good!

On another note, outside of my sad skating addiction, I went to a fantastic lecture earlier tonight given by University of Michigan Professor Juan Cole, one of the top Shia Islam scholars in the U.S. He hosts a great blog (uhhh, far more intellectual than mine...) at
www.juancole.com. I highly recommend reading it if you want to know what's going on right now in Iraq. His speech was incredibly good (a well-articulated and easy-to-understand explanation of what the hell is going on in Iraq, and what to expect... ummm, more war for many years. Big surprise.) Juan Cole also gets major cool points for being named one of David Horowitz's "101 Most Dangerous Professors," according to the right-wing a**holes anyway. Wow, Juan Cole actually tells the TRUTH about what is going on in the Middle East. I guess that makes a person dangerous.

Also, because I pride my blog on being almost completely non-intellectual, I just have to mention that Juan Cole is extremely similar to Harvey Pekar's co-worker in the movie, American Splendor (ie: "I am going to a mooovie. It is called Revenge of the Neeeerds.") You know who I'm talking about if you've seen the film. But seriously, not only does Juan Cole talk very similarly to the character, Toby Radloff, but he actually looks rather like him too (except that he's loads smarter of course):


American Splendor's Toby Radloff (left) separated at birth from Juan Cole?

It's late, and I have devoted far too much time this evening to figure skating (doing Arabic homework on commercial breaks).
Time for bed. Ciao...

PS - Lamest commentator comment tonight on the Olympics: Sasha doesn't just perform in Romeo and Juliet. She is Juliet. Barfbag please...

No comments: