Monday, January 22, 2007

Super Bowl Memories

Although I am always professing what a non-sports fan I am, here I am again posting about sports...

I saw on TV yesterday that the Chicago Bears will be facing the Indianapolis (I still refer to them as the "Baltimore") Colts in this year's Super Bowl. This brought back a happy memory for me...

At the sweet young age of 11, in 1985, I was a huge sucker for the Bears' William "The Refrigerator" Perry, and I was totally obsessed with the "Super Bowl Shuffle," even though I could really have given a rat's ass about the actual Super Bowl game.

To put things into perspective, I should mention that this musical obsession of mine coincided with my passion for the band "New Edition" (and associated homemade performances of me rapping "Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, and Mike... if I like the girl who cares who you like..." to my parents, friends, and neighbors)


New Edition rocks my world!

Aside from knowing every word to "Cool It Now," I also claim the rights to knowing just about every word to the "Super Bowl Shuffle," which I recorded onto my boombox from the radio and then sang over and over in my room (complete with each player's voice and various accents... Southern, ebonics, etc.). Just ask Miguel... I sang parts of it to him a couple years ago to prove that I really did know the song as well as I claimed I did.

My personal favorite Bears' rapper is the back-up quarterback, Steve Fuller, with his southern accent, but the Fridge's rap is still the most fun to sing:

You're lookin' at the Fridge, I'm the rookie,
I may be large, but I'm no dumb cookie,
You've seen me hit, you've seen me run,
When I kick and pass, we'll have more fun,
I can dance, you will see,
The others, they all learn from me,
I don't come here lookin' for trouble,
I just came here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Since I have been declared the unofficial "Master of the 80s," allow me to present to you what might possibly be the worst ever song from my favorite decade... the "Super Bowl Shuffle" featuring the Chicago Bears, circa 1985:

Da Bears!

ps - Make sure you watch Mike "Samurai Mike" Singletary, who sings third, with the BCGs ("birth control glasses"). He sounds just like Carlton Banks from "The Fresh Prince"!!!

For an added laugh, make sure to read this... it's the Onion's take on the "Shuffle." Holy crap, it's so funny I was crying while reading it.

I must also add that upon re-listening to the "Super Bowl Shuffle" this evening, I have determined that it's not only the cheesiest, but also the most boring, song of the 80s. What was I thinking in 1985?!? Then again... I must ask, what was anyone thinking?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That '85 Superbowl is the first one that made an impact on my consciousness back in the day. I loved the Super Bowl Shuffle, I thought it was the funniest thing since Garfield. I loved it when the video came on. Didn't McMahon refer to himself as the "punky QB"?

A couple of days ago on the radio here they played a New England Patriots song that was created in 1985 to counter the Shuffle. Believe it or not it was worse than the Shuffle. I wish I could find some audio of it.

JC said...

The SBS video is on the fritz.

I watched the New Edition video. So that's what all the fuss over castratos was about.