Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Wigging Out

There's a wig store in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia that has always intrigued me. I remember years ago walking down the street with my friend Paola and stopping in front of the wig store. We played a game called "which wig would you pick?" in which we looked at three or four different wigs on the numerous mannequin heads in the display and then had to choose which one was least offensive. I tend to go for the brunette bobs... although there's nothing wrong with the occasional blonde bombshell look.

A couple of months ago, Miguel informed me that a number of men's wigs had recently been featured in the window display... and they had been given names on hand written placards that were placed in front of the mannequin heads. His personal favorite was "the Napoleon."

The obvious image sprang into my mind...

"You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join 'cause I'm pretty good with a bow staff."

Better yet... here he is in action:

Of course, when I was home in DC this past Christmas, one of the first things I wanted to do was check out the wig store and to gaze upon "the Napoleon" with mine own eyes.

Here it is in all its glory...

It almost looks like Maury Povich but with far more evil eyebrows.

Maybe Tony Curtis instead?

What's up with the gloves?

Anyway... after I took the photo of the Napoleon, Miguel and I surveyed the rest of the wigs in the display case and discovered a real beauty.

It didn't have a name. But it was obvious what it should be called.

Allow me to introduce "the Jordy"...

OK, so it's slightly more "Ted Kaczynski" than Jordy...

But there is some similarity, wouldn't you say?

4 comments:

Italianissima said...

I miss the two neighboring wig stores!!! We don't have anything nearly as interesting here in PA. I think my favorite is still the Racquel (sp?) modelled after Ms. Welch herself.

JC said...

Wigs freak me right the f out. But I still like them. Today is Maury Povich's birthday! I think you should email him a picture of the Napoleon.

I'm almost done with my A to Z list. I think I'll wait until tomorrow to post it. Gotta stretch the post material, you know!

Anonymous said...

That wig looks just like what I remember Jordy looking like, what with his laid-back smuggness about music, and his need to eat every few minutes - pick it up for me, and I'll go as "Jordy" next Halloween, complete with attitude.

Chickytava said...

Jordy, I can't believe you don't have a retort!