Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I Really Hate Physicists

This will be short because I just realized I have mounds of Arabic homework, and I have an Iraqi test tomorrow, and I haven't done jack squat tonight.

I didn't have class today, but I had an appointment with my thesis advisor this morning, and then I had an appointment with a career counselor right afterwards.

Last week, I took one of those lame "interest" tests (the "Strong Interest Inventory") to see what sort of career might be the best fit for me. Frankly, I find such things a waste of time by the time you're 30-something (I mean, if you don't know what you like by now, you're in big trouble).

However, I was sort of goaded into it by a career center employee -- sporting very hair sprayed, permed locks and an outfit straight out of the Kohl's catalog, which frankly made me feel nervous... I mean, this woman is giving me career advice? -- who I met with last week (when I was only trying to find out if my resume was a match with any of the potential employers that come looking for workers at UA).

Anyway, big shock... my job interest results are exactly the way I predicted they would be!

Interests (in order of preference): Artistic jobs, enterprising jobs, and social jobs.
Non-interests: Investigative, conventional, and realistic jobs.

I sense a theme here... penniless jobs vs. money-making jobs. OK, so you might be able to strike it rich with "enterprising jobs," but for the most part, I'm on the losing end of the stick, I fear. The fun end, but the poor end.

Here's the interesting part. When comparing my scores to 60,000 working women, I scored the most in common with (in order):
1. Librarian
2. Advertising Account Manager
3. Interior Designer
4. Photographer
5. Speech Pathologist
6. Artist
7. Buyer
8. Retail Sales Manager
9. Public Relations Director
10. Social Worker

I've never considered library science, but apparently it's a perfect fit for me. (?!?!?)

Also of interest, the women with whom I have the least in common are in these career fields:
1. Physicist
2. Athletic Trainer
3. Mathematician
4. Physical Education Teacher
5. Physical Therapist

Umm, yes, I would agree. I get the cringe factor from all of those jobs.

Ahhh, so here I am. Back at square one.

All right, I have s**t to do now so I must run.

1 comment:

JC said...

OK, I'm trying to catch up on your blog. I think there can be value in those tests because I think sometimes we don't know ourselves as well as we think we do. At least I hope so since I'm currently in library school after deciding that I didn't like engineering. I'm more on the artistic side.