Saturday, September 17, 2005

My First Blog!


OK, so here I am with my first ever blog... my very cool neighbor, Shauna, introduced me to the art of online writing, and I figured this would be an easy way to communitcate with everyone I know.

Not sure I'll be able to write every single day, but I thought this would be a fun way to transmit some of the thoughts I've been having as a 31-year old returnee to college. At times, I feel like Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School"!

My what a change from my old life of 9-5 work in a cubicle farm! However, I spoke with my lovely former co-worker, Katy, on the phone yesterday, and I didn't feel bad at all that I left as she expressed the usual frustrations we've always had with our crap managers there. Uggh. I guess it makes my upcoming mid-terms worth it...

So, I've just been getting used to this sort of unscheduled, yet deadline-filled, life. Strange to wake up at 8 am yet continue to read in bed for a couple hours on a Thursday, as I sip coffee and nibble on a bagel before heading to my first class of the day at 11am. Stranger yet is trying to figure out how to use technology in college, which I didn't really have to do in 1992-96 (we were still using Brother word processors!). I'm still figuring out the library's electronic catalog, registering for classes on the internet, and putting money on my "Cat Card" student ID chip. What the hell is all of this complicated stuff?!? I can hardly believe how things have changed in just nine years. I saw a kid text messaging on his cell phone in class the other day and I couldn't believe how far advanced everything is now!

OK, I'm sounding older than I really am, but it's definitely a big change from nine years ago! Well, I am getting pretty tired. I was up till 3am last night learning how to play poker with 8 Indian guys from Bombay... my friend Lindsey lives in an apartment complex with these guys as her next door neighbors. They are all engineering PhD students and pretty funny too (seems unlikely, yes, but they are actually pretty cool!). So we played Texas Hold 'Em for a couple hours over beers and a bottle of wine that I split with Shauna. Wow, I never stayed up till 3 am in my old life! Hmmm, am I regressing or progressing? I am trying to figure this one out...

And on that note, I say good night.

No comments: