Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Stories from the pool



I definitely did not do this much work in undergrad. I have very clear memories of my college days at Miami University... when I would ride my bike home from class at 2pm and then spend the rest of my afternoon watching Oprah and Guiding Light and Days of Our Lives with my roommates. This is what I thought my life would be like here in Tucson. But it's not. Damn. Maybe it's because I'm crazy enough to be taking 17 graduate credits. Maybe it's because I have become dumber as I've aged. Or maybe I am not as confident in my ability and actually feel the need to study this time around? Whatever the case may be, I am really busy. I've had major tests the last two days (up till 1:30am studying the Ottoman Tanzimat period and Iranian Tobacco Protests for a history test today) and now I have another damn Arabic test tomorrow. Plus I had to memorize a 3-minute dialogue to record (on video) for my Egyptian class. Agggh! It is never-ending!

I'm trying to come up with something more interesting to write about... hmmm. Well, tonight at the pool I had to share a lap lane with a girl who must have weighed at least 200 lbs. This was an interesting, up-close, underwater visual that I will not recount in detail, but I was impressed she was swimming. She actually swam for a quite a while and didn't stop, which I thought was good. I was at the pool last month when the police showed up. I asked the girls in the lane next to me what was happening, and it turns out that some naked guy was swimming around the "free swim" area. The girl on the other side of me was horrified b/c she had been talking to him for about a minute (he told her she had "red eyes from the chlorine") and never realized he was naked. I was trying to figure out how he got in the water without a bathing suit on, or if he took it off once he was in the water. He looked Arab or Pakistani, and apparently he had a foreign accent, but the police brought him a towel, forced him out of the pool (I did see that he was naked), and then gave him some sort of citation. Public indecency, I suppose. I personally found it pretty hilarious as long as the chlorine was working to kill any germs!

I'm really obsessed with watching my "Sex and the City" DVD collection again. I watched the whole series last year, but I feel like I'm watching it all for the first time again. Very good show with a lot of truths! I can't decide if I'm more like Miranda or more like Carrie. Sort of a mix. Yes, I am busy, but every girl needs a break now and then!

Otherwise my day was very very boring, and full of class and homework. God, I am dull these days.

2 comments:

Elisha Cuthbert said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shauna said...

I am now an official reader of your blog....just hanging out in the "fourth world" country that is my apartment. Looking forward to your next post...I've heard through the grape vine that its going to be some hard hitting journalism...

Your friend and partner in crime,
S