Monday, September 19, 2005

What a crap day.


Really, my day has stunk. To the point that I'm listening to the Delgado's very depressing "American Trilogy" and thinking that it sounds cheery.

I had the worst insomnia last night, and when I finally got to sleep, I had to wake up and pee. And THEN, the shrub trimmer guy came around my apartment courtyard this morning at exactly 6:15am. What the hell?

I had Arabic class at 0815 so I got up and got ready for class. After class I had to study for my Egyptian Arabic (different class) exam that started at 1pm. My teacher for this class is absolutely insane about Arabic and made us memorize about 400 words (with vowelization, which is really hard by the way). The test was ALL translation and fill-in-the-blank, without a word bank, so you had to really know everything. God, I hate that. Not sure how I did. I'm hoping for a low B.

Then, my friend Lindsey was in a bit of a lather about the test so we chatted for a while before I peeled off to hit the swimming pool for a 30 minute swim (my only moment of peace all day, btw). Then, I had to race with wet hair (after drying off at the gym with the only towel in my bag... a tiny hand towel from my bathroom) to Starbuck's, where I was "hosting" the UofAz's weekly Arabic club meeting. This really means nothing more than that I had to take attendance of who was there. But still I had to commit to this thing from 4-6pm. Luckily there was a really cool guy there named Derek Lucky, who is 32 and very interesting and at my speaking level, so I spent the two hours getting to know him (he is married with a wife and kid if you wondered!).

Now I'm home after a dinner of pasta with pesto and a big bowl of butterscotch pudding (who ever said college enforces good eating habits?). Unfortunately, my idea of a relaxing night has been quashed by the fact that I have a massive test tomorrow at 11am for my Middle Eastern history class (ugggh, I haven't even started studying) and then I have to videotape myself doing a recorded dialogue for my Egyptian class in the afternoon. Oh, and I have a big Arabic 101 exam on Wednesday. Isn't my life fun?

And I left a good-paying job with great benefits and free nights and weekends -- why? I am clearly a masochist! Ah, for the love of learning...

Sorry this is so boring, but I'm feeling positively overwhelmed this evening!

More interesting tid-bits when I'm through with all the crap this week...

No comments: