Sunday, September 25, 2005

Saturday night at the Melting Pot

I spent my Saturday evening at the Melting Pot with girls from my department. Shauna and Lindsey decided to bail on me at the last minute (damn them!) with the excuse of Shauna's pink-eye as a reason for not going. However, I've already bailed on about four things that have been planned for the department, and I was sure that one more "bail" would put me in "persona non grata" status. So I felt obliged. First of all, the fricking Melting Pot is about a 30-minute drive from my apartment (bad start, esp. since I was already late), and what else does getting there late mean? It means that you get the seat that's left at the table... ie: no choice of who you sit near. No more comment lest my website be discovered, but suffice to say it was a long meal with a group of girls I would normally not pay $26 to dine with. Ugggh. I am done with department functions.

So I left soon after dessert (Shauna and Lindsey called me and were laughing out loud at my situation during dinner) and headed over to Lindsey's apartment to see my traitor friends. They were happily watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," grrrr. Soon after, we got invited to play poker with the Indians next door so we headed over for a game or two. Guess who left the winner that night? Moi, thank you very much... although it was sheer luck really (I suck at bluffing).

I've spent today painting a wooden screen that I'm making, reading about Islamic law (really really boring), studying for my big Arabic mid-term tomorrow morning, reading about and writing a 5-page paper on medieval Cairo (really interesting, really!), and now taking a mini-break. Shauna and I also went to swim laps this afternoon at the pool.

Till the next time...

No comments: