Thursday, February 01, 2007

Computer Games

Miguel's brother got the new Nintendo Wii gaming system for Christmas this year. As I was a giant lump of totally unmotivated putty over Christmas break, I temporarily took it over. Sure, I spent a little time bowling, golfing, playing tennis, and swatting at the baseball, but my true obsession with the Wii was creating characters with the people-building feature.

Basically, it allows you to choose different players with whom you can interact in the games, but I was so busy creating the characters based on people I know, that I didn't have time to bother with actually doing anything with them. I started out with my family, then I moved onto friends. Don't worry, I ended up erasing most of my friends -- the real challenge was just to see how close I could get a cartoon character to actually look like a real person. You can adjust height, weight, face shape, nose shape, hair style, eyebrows, mouth, and then you can adjust the distance between all the different features.

Anyway, here are a few of my more harmless creations...

First... here's Miguel. I should actually give him credit b/c he did most of it:


Me... (frankly, I think my cartoon character looks pretty dorky, but whatever) And let's face it, that photo is no prize either, but it's the only one I could find with my red glasses...


And here's my mom...


And finally, the creme de la creme... my brother:

Honestly, I couldn't quite believe how absolutely similar my cartoon creation looked to my real brother. Perhaps the eyebrows could be opened a little bit, but otherwise, it's a dead ringer.

I also created my dad, but I forgot to take a picture of it. It's too bad because his turned out really similar to his true likeness. I should add a caveat here and say that my dad went through a Thomas Jefferson phase in 2005, when he grew his hair longer during his early stages of retirement. When I asked why he would do such a thing, he responded, "because I can." When I told him he should at least be using product, he said, "what is product?" And then I quit grilling him about it.

I won't quite say it was a mullet, as it had a very colonial flair. Think bouffant, puffy front and a small whig-like ponytail in the back. I have photos, but frankly, it wasn't a very good look, and I'm not sure I want to expose my father in a public way during this past experimental phase of his.

Anyway, I decided to model his Wii character on this time period because, despite my initial horror that my father looked like a replica of our forefathers, it was pretty amusing...


Onward, patriots!!!

3 comments:

Laura said...

You need some help with noses. Those dots just don't cut it. Miguel made a lovely nose.

If I got this game I would never leave the house.

chickytava said...

I know, the dots are slightly piggish, but there was no other way to show a smallish, turned up nose! My dad's was a giant hook. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to know that, but luckily he never reads this.

JC said...

The nose dots make these look somewhat frightening! But the Miguel and your brother are freakishly accurate.