Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Morning With Baby Serena

Today was my first real day on the job with baby Serena. I arrived at 8:15am, she fell asleep at 8:30am, and she slept until 11:30am.

Here she is snoozing...

She likes to sleep in her little jungle swing in the living room.

I was thrilled to have three full hours of reading and homework time (which I would be far too undisciplined to do at my own apartment) so I was really productive.

The last time I was there, it was my "trial run," and she screamed for a couple of hours, making me question my sanity and wonder if I had permanent hearing loss. So this time around was a dream. When she woke up, she freaked out a little bit (not seeing her mom, I suppose), but then she was perfectly amiable, with the exception of a few minutes around noon where she did turn into crabby applekins.

During that time, I took her outside on the back porch to calm her down. Their next door neighbor is completely ripping out his backyard and installing a pool so there were a bunch of contractors hacking up a palm tree they had cut down in preparation for the pool foundation. Both Serena and I were enthralled by the amount of debris created from a chopped up palm and stood staring for a while.


At one point, the guy who seemed to be in charge of things came over and said hello. I asked him a few questions about what they were doing, and he introduced himself as the head contractor. As he was explaining things to me I wondered if he thought I lived there and would want to ask me questions about the property line or something. Simultaneously, I realized I actually looked old enough to be this infant's mother.

So I quickly added the caveat, "Oh, I'm just the babysitter."

And he said, "Yeah, I could tell."

OK, what does that mean? Was that a compliment or an insult?

The possible translations are:
a. Yeah, you don't look like a mom. Heh heh. (Sort of like a MILF, but instead I'm a BILF.)
b. There's no way you're old enough to be lugging around kids in real life. (After all, it could be that I appear far younger than my actual years.)
c. You look like you've never held a baby before, woman. (No comment necessary.)
d. You thought I thought you were a homeowner?!?!? Now that's funny. (And yet so true, so true.)

So cast your vote or give me another suggestion or tell me to stop reading into things so much.

Or say nothing, which is what 99.9% of you do anyway.

9 comments:

J Porter said...

Yeah... stop reading into it so much. ;-)

JC said...

It's impossible to give a good guess without seeing the actual event. Maybe you don't look anything like the baby? I dunno.

Laura said...

The baby looks really hispanic. You do not and while I recognize the baby could be biracial, I'm not expecting too many contractors to be well versed in this area.

I'm just sayin'.

Italianissima said...

Um, you like nothing like the baby. And maybe he has already met the mother?

Chickytava said...

I thought about the "I don't look anything like the baby" after I posted the blog, and I think that must be it. The baby is half-Asian, and I really look nothing like her because she's pretty tan, and I'm whiter than snow... so yes, I think that is the answer "I look nothing like the child." However, that's pretty un-PC on the contractor's part -- but then again, he's a swimming pool contractor.

Joe said...

I'm glad that I'm not a contractor, especially a pool contractor! Laura thinks that contractors are unfamiliar with biracial babies and you have a generally low expectation of pool contractors.

Has Melissa C. Morris kidnapped Chickytava and taken over Chickytavaland?!?!?

Laura said...

Joe - That's some funny stuff!

Anonymous said...

..."but then again, he's a swimming pool contractor." Talk about overgeneralisation. You're doing the exact thing you're complaining about.

Chickytava said...

Damn, I hate it when other people are right. Mea culpa...