Monday, February 05, 2007

A Note from a Non-Foodie

I just love those hi-falutin' people on the internet who post blogs about their beautiful, grossly perfect lives (aside from marrying an old man that looks like a dad) and then wow me with their amazing cooking skills. I mean, not only do they vacation in the Caribbean on a monthly basis, but they also have time to cook nutritious and impressive meals!! In fact, I don't know about you poor souls out there in middle America, but I have Chilean sea bass and chutney and pine nuts and orzo lying around my kitchen all the time.

Look at this medley of tantalizing food cooked by someone (not me) who has a lot of time, money, energy, and talent in the kitchen (errr, not me)...



May I present the menus for these four evenings?

Photo One:
- Sauteed Chilean Sea Bass with Lemon Dill Marinade
- Succotash with Zucchini, Yellow Squash, and Red Pepper
- Long Grain and Wild Rice

Photo Two:
- Baked Salmon Fillets with Mango Lemon Sauce
- Roasted Baby Asparagus with Brown Butter, Soy Sauce, and Balsamic Vinegar
- Brown Rice

Photo Three:
- Flounder with tomato-onion ragout
- Roasted asparagus
- Brown rice and toasted orzo with carrots

Photo Four:
- Curried Chicken Breasts with Green Apple and Red Onion Chutney
- Steamed Broccoli with Ginger Butter
- Couscous with Pine Nuts and Herbs

As a bit of a juxtaposition, allow me to present you my own culinary delights from the last three evenings:

Night One...

- Safeway Bread
- Virginia Ham (no condiments)
- Green Beans (heated in microwave)

Night Two...

- Trader Joe's Coconut Curry Chicken Stix (toaster oven)
- Cottage Cheese (straight from fridge)
- Leftover green beans (microwave)

And tonight's dinner remnants...

Chester Cheeto and his friend, the dead banana.

Bon appetit!

8 comments:

Melissa C Morris said...

Hi there.

Long ago my mother taught me, "if you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all."

Apparently we were raised differently.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours.

Italianissima said...

I have a gourmet meal at least once a week - but that is because I am forced to work at my parents restaurant where I in turn, always order the most expensive thing on the menu as my dinner. Why, because I can.

Chickytava said...

As my dear readers know, I have always been taught, "if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me."

Joe said...

Mel, the post was funny. Really. Now, take your mother's advice.

JC said...

This was a definite giggle.

Jordy said...

Kit what is that red thing stuck to your ham sandwich??
-K

Chickytava said...

That "red thing" is the outside color of the ham. Also known as Allura Red AC, which you can read more about here at Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allura_Red_AC.

Damn that cheap processed food.

Anonymous said...

Ewww....

It doesn't look like Dad.

It looks like she married her Grandfather.

How do you worry about your pimples when your husband is covered in age spots?

Put me on a budget and let me grab my husband's ass instead of his wallet.

That woman is revolting.

And, we were raised differently.

My parents didn't want me fucking their peer group.

Ick.