Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Carson, B-Day Ideas, and The Captain's Chair

First and foremost, my best friend Jo had her baby boy last Friday, and her husband finally sent me a picture I could post. So I just want to say "WELCOME" to little Carson William Forkner, born on Friday, March 31 at 5:00pm via C-Section after Jo spent more than 21 hours in epidural-less labor with him, including two hours on the delivery table (hello, OUCH) due to a last minute blood condition she developed.

But thankfully, it all turned out all right... so CONGRATS JO-JO AND MARK!!!

Here is the little guy, my adopted nephew:

As you can tell by his shirt, this is definitely
my best friend's child... love you, Jojo!!

Moving on to non-infant topics, I thought I would throw out a few birthday ideas, particularly for my exceedingly stressed-out and overly-scheduled brother, who harangues me every year about giving him a list of gifts I would like for Christmas and my birthday. He is definitely the kind of guy that needs firm direction in gift giving, as he doesn't like to "waste" time scouring around for the perfect gift.

--->
So, Taylor (as if you can ever find time to look at my blog), here are a few ideas so far:

1. The book "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld
2. Binoculars -- for concerts, trips to the Grand Canyon, spying on my neighbors, etc.
3. My own yoga mat (the ones at the studio smell like dirty feet)
4. Gift certificates to anywhere I regularly shop (Banana Republic, Gucci, Armani, Target, Barneys New York)
5. "Sex and the City" Vols. 5 and 6
6. If I think of anything else, I'll just e-mail it to you and hope you find time to read it.

Finally, I made a purchase yesterday. I bought a "Captain's Chair." After months of suffering on my crappy piece of junk plastic IKEA chair from Hell, I finally splurged and went big. This is indeed, the mother of all "Captain's Chairs." Leather, multi-adjustable swivel and tilt functions, and highly ergonomic. Indeed, if office chairs were akin to charitable organizations, I would be sitting in "the Mother Teresa."

Last night, as I sat comfortably nestled upon my soft black cow's skin chair in front of my computer, I could actually swivel the seat ala Star Trek (as opposed to craning my head) and recline slightly to watch the new NBC game show program, "Deal or No Deal," that was on my TV across the room, which made me feel a bit regal -- and also just a bit like Dr. Evil...



Is it wrong to place a picture of Dr. Evil
so close to Mother Teresea?

As for "Deal or No Deal," I want to say thanks to my friend, Laura, for suggesting that I waste an hour and a half of my night watching Howie Mandel attempt to reincarnate Regis Philbin's schtik on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?". OK, OK, it's true... I was mildly entertained by the contestants, especially the Tennessee cheerleader who wanted to use her winnings to "start a family" (??? -- sperm bank fees?) because her cheap husband put too much of their income into savings... I mean, what a dummy he is! Saving money?!? Pshawww!

My, how times -- and game show hosts -- have changed. I'm
sorry, but
no one can ever replace my Wink Martindale -- especially someone with
a natty little goatee, Buster the Crab shirt, and Monica Lewinsky beret.

But back to "the chair" --- truth be known, I bought it on Craigslist from a teacher moving to Belize. She sold it to me for less than a third of what she paid for it, and it's in perfect, pristine, and immaculate condition, just like, hmmm... Mother Teresa...

Check this sweet little baby out:

FYI: This sterile looking photo was not

taken in my lovingly cluttered apartment.

Ahhh... hello, comfort...

No comments: