Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Semi-Deaf with Alzheimer's

I am a terrible listener. I always have been, and I continue to be a bad, bad, bad, bad listener...



This is not a good trait. As a child, my parents and brother would tell stories at the dinner table. When the story would end, I would often ask something like, for example, "so what happened to Marge then?" Well, the whole ENTIRE STORY was about "what happened to Marge then," but I would get too transfixed on thinking about the initial parts of the story, like what Marge looked like, where she lived, the name Marge... is that short for "Margaret?", Marge, Marge... sounds like margerine... I'm sure glad my name isn't Marge...



And then, two minutes later, after emerging from my catatonic state, I would ask "oh, wait, so what happened to her?"

Thus, annoyance from the storyteller ensued...


While annoying to a number of my friends, who often ask, "Where have you been? We were just talking about that, and you were sitting right here!," it can also be very annoying to me personally, especially when I miss important details because I am "zoned out"...



Last week, I was clearly zoned out in my Islamic Law class, which is easy to do since the topic is so completely dry. Our teacher told us that our class was being moved to a different classroom this week, and then (according to my classmate Sarah) told us "at least three times" the room number for the new room. Was I in the class? Yes. Was I listening, not once, but three different times? No, apparently I was not.


Maybe I was feeling for chin whiskers instead.

So yesterday, I showed up to class to find a totally empty classroom. Figuring I must have missed something, I sped on my old bicycle over to my department...



However, once I got there no one seemed to know anything about where the class had moved, or why I was the only person who didn't know where to go. So I then borrowed a professor's computer to check my school e-mail to see if a message with the new room number had been sent out. (Surely, it must have been...)

But no...


I vaguely remembered hearing something about the "social sciences" building so I decided (30 minutes into class now) to head over there and see if I could walk the halls, look into classroom windows, and hopefully see a familiar face. After about four hallways, two floors, and 25 classrooms later, I actually spotted my class, by a stroke of complete luck.

But I missed nearly half the class by then...


On a totally separate, but equally forgetful note, I also think I am contracting an early form of Alzheimer's...



Last Friday, I woke up, made coffee, read a book in bed for a while, watched some Maury Povich, and then started getting ready for my 11am economics class. I got on my bike, I leisurely rode to campus, I parked my bike in front of the economics building, I went into the building, headed toward the classroom, and hmmm... it was empty. This was indeed odd!

And then it hit me... OH SHIT!

Today is Friday... not Thursday, and my 10:15 Arabic class had been going on for almost an hour by that point. Duhhhhh...


And so... the bottom line appears to be that my life is falling into total disarray because I'm a semi-deaf old coot. Fabulous.

No comments: