Monday, December 18, 2006

Home for Christmas

Well, I made it in one piece to DC!!

I got in an hour late last Friday evening due to some sort of cargo complications in Minneapolis (during which we sat on the tarmac for 60 full minutes wondering if we were ever going to take off)...

Sitting, sitting, sitting, sitting...

...but thankfully we arrived safely, and I got to my mom's house that night around midnight.

I spent Saturday morning lounging around with my mom and then running errands. She needed to pick up a birthday gift for my niece Isabella, and I insisted that we purchase a Christmas tree this year.

See, we had a fake tree (named "Scotty") for many years, which my parents bought the first year they were married. However, about 10 years ago, Scotty suffered an unfortunate death when his wooden support post finally cracked in half under the weight of our ornaments. He made a splintering sound, keeled over suddenly, smashed to the carpeted floor, and was declared DOA. It was a sad day indeed.

Since then, Scotty has remained unreplaced. My mother believed that decorating her living room's silk ficus trees was enough. She thought it was whimsical and cute to put our ornaments on these spindly little leafy home decorations...

Not exactly the image of Christmas...

I thought it was clever at first, but it just never felt quite right. So this year, I said enough was enough and demanded that we finally replace Scotty with another conical, traditionally shaped tree. And let's get this straight... we are strictly fake tree people.

Unfortunately, every single store we went to was sold out of artificial trees! And we also wanted a cute little 3' type of tree... not some enormous ceiling scraper. After driving all over strip mall hell for at least an hour in pursuit of our little pine, we finally... finally... found him in none other than CVS, sitting atop the Coke coolers in the back.

The whole scenario reminded me a bit of Charlie Brown's Christmas...

... the sad little reject that no one else wanted.

However, we spent Sunday morning decorating him...

... and oh, what a beauty!

2 comments:

JC said...

You're the first person I've ever heard of who named their Christmas tree! It seems somehow appropriate, though. What's the new tree's name?

Chickytava said...

Although this might be deemed extremely uncreative, I think we are going to have to name him Scotty, Jr. Perhaps we will just call him Junior. I'll have to run it by my mom, since he's technically her tree, but I'll let you know...