Tuesday, December 12, 2006

All Things KC Tonight

First things first... Happy Birthday to KC!!!

I know by the time you read this, it will be happy belated b-day, but I wanted you to know I didn't forget you!!!


Poor KC, she has the worst timed birthday (if you're in college) because every year it falls smack in the middle of finals week. I remember this as being a bit of a downer for her 21st b-day when we were undergrads... because when we showed up at the bars to get her all drunk and stupid, there were only about ten people out.


But, of course, the shimmering organ and rustic ambiance at the Shady Nook more than made up for the fact that her birthday was on a Wednesday night in the middle of finals week!!!

Here was the site of KC's 21st b-day dinner...

Don't laugh... rural Ohio offers few options for fine dining.

Plus... it was the home of the "Moon River Organ"...

... which rocked. Umm, literally.

As I recall, I requested "The A-Train," (the only song I knew from the 1930s playlist) and the organist played it for me, replete with train whistle sound effects. It was rather dramatic. Not to mention, at the beginning of the show, the submerged organ (under the front of the stage) rises slowly out of its depths to the amazement of the elderly, tour bus crowd. Definitely the perfect scene for a 21st birthday.

(Of note, from what I just read on the website link above, the Shady Nook is no longer in operation. Nor is the organ. Like Chuck's, another Oxford tradition sadly gone...)

Aside from old memories, I had an interesting experience this evening... I found a lost Weimeraner running around in the alley behind my apartment. (Weirdly, KC has a Weimeraner too... what a coincidence!)

As you may recall, my neighbors and I
found a lost rabbit last year, which is making me wonder if my apartment complex is some sort of Bermuda Triangle of lost pets.

I was on my way to Beyond Bread (best sandwich spot. ever.) to get myself a Rex's Revenge focaccia sandwich for dinner, when I spotted this little guy running around all by himself in the dark alleyway by my car...

... his name was Colby.


When I called his owners, I discovered that they were in the emergency room because the wife was super sick, and they had left in a hurry, accidentally leaving a gate open from the yard, which allowed Colby to escape.


To be honest, I felt bad about their situation, but I didn't really want to babysit this dog all night, nor was I particularly keen on letting him in my tiny studio apartment. I just wanted to go get my sandwich because I was starving. But I didn't want the poor guy to leave his wife alone in the hospital to come fetch the dog, and I didn't want to let the dog go either to possibly get hit by a car so I felt morally obligated to help out.

In the end, the guy called a family friend to come pick up the dog so I only had to watch him for about 30 minutes. During that time, I fed him old leftover Thanksgiving turkey (which he loved... I hope it doesn't make him sick, but aren't animals equipped to eat older meat?), I gave him some water which he slopped all over my doormat (this is why I don't have an animal), he sniffed every single inch of my apartment about ten times, and he attempted to overturn my kitchen garbage can three times (another reason I don't have an animal). I also think he ate some cat poop that he dug up in our apartment courtyard (the third reason I don't have an animal). Here he is in action...


He was a bit of a whirling dervish, which makes me hope those people have much larger living accommodations than mine.


And that's it for this evening.
I have a break until my last exam on Friday so I will be totally goofing off for at least a full day. Woo hoo!

5 comments:

Laura said...

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

Shady Nook no more? Quelle Horror. Never made it there myself.

But seriously, have you turned into your mother? What are you still doing with Thanksgiving turkey?

I mean. We children of mold loving parents (just scrap it off) have to be more diligent.

I don't even want to talk about how wrong it is that you fed it to that dog.

Man's wife is in the hospital and you are going to send his dog to the vet.

Chickytava said...

Hmmm, so I guess this means dogs can't digest non-fresh meat. Let's hope those people never discover my blog.

And yes, in many strange and scary ways, I have become my mother. I guess this is proof.

I love my mom, but oh the horror of the old fridge food! I am guilty!

Laura said...

I know. I am turning into my mother as well. A mother's ultimate revenge.

Anonymous said...

it's jc. I'm resisting beta with every fiber of my being and it's responding by not letting me log-in! Feh.

Happy belated to KC! From a complete stranger!

That organ sounded super groovy (by "sounded" I mean from your description), too bad it's gone.

At least the dog was alive when he left your place!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've never been a blog subject before - and what a treat to come across my very own entry this blah Monday morning.

I had a lovely birthday - finals free this year. Josh and I even went out for a nice dinner (only our 2nd since Jack was born) and I got nicely buzzed (even rarer).

I can't believe the Shady Nook went to the big Wurlitzer store in the sky! I think I Nooked it up three times while I was a MU - though no time was it more rockin' than we went for my big day.

Glad to hear all went well on your Arabic exam. Merry Christmas - I hope to be able to call you over the holidays!