Friday, December 08, 2006

Some Things I Hate

You know you're in trouble when you're Googling "Callers at the Doors of Hell" for a research paper.

Apparently, it was the title of a Saudi mini-series/documentary that aired this past fall during their holiday season, but I couldn't find much about it. Sounds festive though, doesn't it?!?

So I finished my media paper today around 2pm. Boy was I happy to have that monkey off my back! However, the relief isn't going to last for long, as my Qur'an paper is due on Monday, and I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of reading religious texts. God (no pun intended), they're so boring.

I've been irritated by a few things lately. No real reason, I'm just prone to crabbiness on occasion...

...especially when stupid people annoy me, as they are wont to do:

1. My neighbor, Nancy, of "Sid and Nancy." She is driving me insane. Perhaps this is because I've been sitting at my desk for three straight days without moving, and I can hear her every move next door. The girl is so freaking loud, I can't handle it. First of all, she's one of those people that laughs at everything... constantly. And it's not just a chuckle. It's a full-on belly laugh. Normally I find belly laughter pleasant to hear, but after being subjected to the sound of Nancy's squeals, screeches, and giggles for at least four hours off and on today, I have half a notion to knock on her door and wring her chubby neck. It doesn't help that Sid must be the world's funniest person, as she laughs at every god damn thing he says, and the man must spend half his time tickling and chasing her around the apartment with the way they carry on over there...

Sometimes I wonder if I'm living in a chimp house.

Not to mention, they have sex like bunnies, and I know because the girl doesn't seem to have a single vocal inhibition. They were at it for 45 minutes last night while I was sitting over here alone Googling "Callers at the Doors of Hell." Now if that isn't unfair, I don't know what is.

2. I have exclusively been eating butterscotch pudding, tater tots, and green beans for 72 hours straight. I'm starting to feel like I live in a nursing home...


"Hey Mabel, pass me the tots!"

Not to mention, I think I may be coming down with rickets.

3. Asian people can't drive...

...and they can't bicycle either. Sorry, that's so un-PC, but it's true. I live near a complex full of Japanese students, and you wouldn't believe how slow they ride their bikes on the road, and they have no control when turning corners on campus. In addition, they often walk in the clearly marked bike lanes, causing me to nearly smear into them. As my friend Jen once said about my former Japanese roommate, "She's a clear cut case of DWA" (Driving While Asian).

4. I hate it when restaurants don't give you napkins in take-out bags. In an effort to diversify my eating habits this afternoon, I got a chicken tikka (Indian) wrap today. I took it to go and decided to eat on a bench outside. Figuring there were napkins in the bag, I didn't bother picking any up, only to discover (after I had dropped at least 3 chunks of meat and a sizeable quantity of sauce all over my jeans) that I had none. I looked like a medieval wench stuffing the wrap in my face and eating the pieces of meat off my pant legs (like when "Booger" eats the chili off Arnold's shirt in "Revenge of the Nerds"), and then licking my fingers clean. But I just didn't care at that point...

"Why they call you Booger?"

And that's my rant for today. I know I hate a lot of other things too, but I have to go the grocery store in a minute and can't sit here listing my annoyances forever.

To end today's spiel on a positive note, I got this in my e-mail inbox today:

In recognition of your outstanding academic achievement, the Department of Near Eastern Studies is pleased to award you a $381 graduate fellowship. We appreciate all of your hard work to date and wish you the very best as you progress through the final stages of our Master of Arts program.

Woooo hoooo! I'm not sure what this means since I'm already getting funded, but it sounded good. Maybe I can take it in the form of a cash reward?!? Ha, yeah, right.

1 comment:

JC said...

Congrats on the money! I wish I could get some school money. I need to check around.

I hear ya on the noise. To me that was the best part about moving into a house. No more neighbor noise! Well, at least greatly reduced neighbor noise. When their dog isn't barking.

I'm guessing that you know that Revenge of The Nerds was filmed at UA? I'm fascinated by that fact everytime I pass by there.