Thursday, December 14, 2006

Last Post Before Going to DC

Here's the worst thing about being in school... there's always something hanging over your head. In the working world, you can pretty much leave work and that's it... your free time is yours alone. But in school, there is a constant sense of paranoia. Even if you do go out and have fun and let loose, there is some little grain of guilt eating away at you and reminding your inner self how much work you still have left to do that night or that weekend and how you should be home reading or writing something.

That said, I have my Arabic final exam tomorrow at 8am, and I've barely studied. It's not because I've been fooling around. I had three large packages full of wrapped gifts to ship off to relatives this morning, and somebody had to wrap and pack these things. That person was me. (Wrapping is not recommended when drunk, BTW).

Then I had to come home and start packing because my flight to DC leaves tomorrow at 1pm, just a few hours after my exam is over. So I have to make sure all my shit is together today. In retrospect, I probably should have flown out on Saturday, but I think the flights were more expensive and at crappy times.

Oyyy... not to mention, I have a handmade art gift for someone in DC, and I needed to find a way to transport it home. As I am far too cheap to actually purchase a box, I decided to go dumpster diving this morning. After measuring the item I needed to transport, I browsed around the dumpsters on campus looking for discarded boxes. I finally found this one...

...but I needed a construction worker to help me haul it out of the dumpster. Yeah, I'm thrifty like that.

I also cleaned out my fridge today. Just for Laura, I decided to take a picture of what was in my fridge. Further proof that I have become my mother...

...the only reason any of this is actually getting dumped is because I am leaving for three weeks and don't want much in my fridge. The block of tofu and the cottage cheese were about a month beyond their due dates, and the spinach had turned into a semi-liquid. You might spot a little Thanksgiving cranberry and potato in there too. But don't laugh at the banana. That could've make some tasty banana bread one day!

Finally, on a happy note, Sid and Nancy moved out this week. I am ecstatic because for the first time in months, it's actually quiet around here. Apparently they're engaged and getting a bigger place. I can hardly control my cynicism in wondering how long those nuptials will last...

Sorry, that's probably kind of evil.

As a truly last note, I don't know how often I'll be able to update this while I'm back in DC. It will really depend upon how busy I am and when I can get around to a computer. But I'll try. Just don't expect daily updates till I'm back in AZ on January 9...

I have to go finish studying for Arabic now... Jordy came over earlier, and we got a little bit of studying done, but then he wanted to order pizza, and he invited Katie over, and we really didn't get a lot accomplished.

Time to hit the books one last time! Bye!

4 comments:

J Porter said...

Leaving- so exciting! I'm leaving tomorrow too- flying out at 12. Are you departing from Tucson? We can be airport buddies! Call me!
Taking the bus to the airport = leaving my apartment at 8:30, sadly. In 8 hours. So I may be a zombie. Oh well.

Chickytava said...

Hey! My exam is 8-10am, then my friend Lynda is driving me to the airport around 11:30 so I think we'll just miss each other... but have fun in Seattle!!!! See you in January...

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're taking your exam right now. Does that mean it's too late to wish you good luck? good luck anyway!

Have a great time on your break!

Chickytava said...

The exam wasn't so bad... it's 10:30am now, and I'm thrilled to be free once again from the clutches of school. Au revoir!!!