Saturday, December 02, 2006

Russian Teacakes, Polonium, and Drunks

I took a mini-study break last night and went over to my friend Carrie's house, where she was hosting a dessert birthday party for our colleague Alana.

I was asked to bring a dessert -- and so after scouring my kitchen for any sort of baking supplies (no chocolate chips or brown sugar, which can be problematic), I finally decided that the only recipe for which I had all the ingredients was "Russian Teacakes." While I hate to enforce stereotypes, I am not particularly enthusiastic about the idea of Russian cooking, which in my mind is made up only of borscht, radishes, potatoes, and stringy meat...

I was having a hard time imagining that Russian teacakes would prove my assumptions wrong about the culinary delights of the Motherland.

The dough was strange... lots of butter, rather greasy, and yet oddly dry and crumbly at the same time. I formed the dough into balls and baked them for the time given. They didn't form into regular flat cookies, but rather stayed "ball shaped."

Like this...

... but mine actually did not look even close to this perfect.

I have to say, they weren't bad, but I'm not sure I'd make them again. They're a touch dry and crumbly. However, I guess they'd be a delicacy compared to the hard little loaves of dry tack they got in the gulag.


Speaking of the gulag, I'm mildly obsessed with the latest story about the Russian spy and Polonium-210...

... hahaha! I just found this children's educational textbook called "Polonium's Treasure." Jeesh, it looks like the characters on the front of the book have just ingested something deadly, especially the man... "Oh my god... no... my sushi roll was tainted with Putin's radioactive material... quick, help me! I'm feeling ill!" I wonder if they're going to have to recall that?

In the end, my cookies were fairly successful for the bunch of drunks at the party last night.

Get a load of Lindsey here...

No memory of Russian teacakes today.

Here's Carrie's cat, Abraham, attacking feathers and my purse strap...

... the feathers are not part of my purse strap, FYI.

No more procrastinating... I'm going back to my paper...

1 comment:

JC said...

Oh man, I'm in paper hell right now. I have a paper due on Wednesday that is the final assignment for one of my classes. Until this morning I didn't even have a topic! I finally decided to write about how libraries can use wikis, and I've been finding and reading sources all day. Ack! And starting on Thursday I get to start on my other paper due a week after that. Calgon, take me away!

That picture of the tea cakes looks really good, and even though yours didn't look like that it looks like it didn't matter to that crowd!

Where the hell did you find that book? It's hilarious. I can't believe all these Putin denials about the polonium - it's not like you can buy that shit at Walgreen's. It's extremely rare, and only a few countries even have the capacity to make it.

Holy shit I wrote a book! Sorry. Can you tell I'm in writing mode?