Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I hate Islamic Law... and Arabic... and history...

So... tomorrow (or maybe that's today... well, I mean Tuesday) is it! My mom arrives for a week-long visit starting this Wednesday so I need to have everything finished by then. That means only one last day to kick it into high gear.

My life thus far:

Thursday through Sunday: Parked in front of my computer writing about Ibn Taymiyya and the Shari'a for my never-ending, interminable, endless, and infinitely stretching Islamic Law paper. (Feel free to start humming Limahl's "Neverending Story" here) I know you don't want to know any more about it than that... trust me.

Monday morning: Arabic Final Exam from HELL. The worst test all semester. Nightmare. Awful. Bring me death. My dreams of an "A" sizzling like bacon on a plate full of grease...

Monday afternoon: Getting my haircut "fixed" in the back because my hairdresser (OK... admittedly at Cost Cutters) totally jacked it up when he cut it this past Saturday. I hate having to go back to hairdressers, but I honestly looked like I was wearing an ill-fitting wig. Anyway, he kindly re-shaped it, and now I no longer have to hide under a hat. Also swam laps at the pool to keep from having a nervous breakdown after aforementioned test and swam next to a guy that never moved his legs! They just floated around behind him in a bow-legged peg-leg sort of way. But wouldn't you know it, he lapped me about 20 times...

Tonight: Recording myself on video (on my computer... and no, none of you may ever see it...) talking for 3 - 5 minutes about my life in Arabic as a another part of the tortuous final exam. Yeah, see, you would not even know what I was saying (or care).

Late tonight: Editing and re-reading my monolithic 26-page "Demise of the Saudi Ulama" Islamic Law tome. I must have it done tomorrow!

Tomorrow: Writing another paper (a manuscript review, or some such nonsense, on a book I haven't quite finished yet on Algerian fundamentalism) for my "Struggle and Survival in the Middle East" history class. Luckily, the teacher is an easy grader.


However, seeing as it is 1:31 am, I have no time to be particularly clever tonight (eyes involuntarily closing now)... but this picture did make me laugh when I saw it somewhere on the internet a couple weeks ago (when I could still enjoy life):

1 comment:

elaine x said...

wow ... and after lunch, how about working on that nuclear arms deal too ... keep up the great work!

thanks for the laugh ...

... and maybe when you are all done you can explain to the rest of us that they, just like you and me, are people and deserve to live just like us (e.g., however they want to!).

have fun with mom!

peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'