Monday, May 29, 2006

Video Killed The Radio Star

I'm on a roll with terrible high school photos. I have been browsing through my mom's photo albums and have found some photos that are positively classic (and have made me either suck in my breath in horror or burst out laughing). I think I'm going to have to establish a "bad high school photo of the week" post while I'm home this summer.

Although I shared that mega-hot pic of me at 10th grade homecoming on my last blog entry (less than a week ago), I just can resist sharing this next little gem, which was taken with my mom when I was in 9th grade (that would be 1988):


Oh my god, where do I begin with my commentary?

Regarding my mom:


1. The skinny tie and big glasses made Miguel remark that my mom looked just like Trevor Horn, of the 80s MTV music pioneers, "The Buggles"... check out the similarity:


Jesus, Miguel is right. My mother was Trevor Horn in drag!

2. I so love her tapered white pants and blue flats that match the crew neck sweater, appropriately accessorized with the aforementioned 80s fashion centerpiece... the skinny, square-bottomed tie.

As for me:

Sweet Mother Mary... what is going on with my white tapered pants, hideously pegged and tucked into turquoise scrunchy sport socks? I'm wearing my all-time favorite 80s high school gear... the Forenza sweatshirt purchased for me by my grandparents (since my parents remained resolutely anti-brand name despite the blatant consumerism of the 1980s). I also do believe my hair was in a side-pony tail, and I have some pretty big bangs. Finally, please note my mega-cool Tretorns, which did give me at least some street cred in 9th grade. Sadly, my cool factor ended there (I was so gawky, oh so gawky...).

Anyway, I have a lot of fun stories to report about my weekend, but I'll save them for later this week. The highlight of the weekend was going to Baltimore on Saturday to see the horse races at Pimlico with my mom and Miguel... while not funny in theory, there were a number of very amusing occurences that day, which still make me laugh out loud thinking about them... more on that later... must run now.

I'm at my mom's house, and Miguel is watching "ultimate fighting," and I must go tell him he's killing brain cells watching that trash...

No comments: