Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Exciting Thanksgiving Weekend

Tonight is a short post because I'm in the midst of writing my final paper for my Quranic Thought class (entitled "Islamic views of riba... usury and interest" --- thrilling, I know). I've been distracted all day by online Christmas shopping, and then researching costs for a trip to Montreal for Miguel's b-day (he's hitting a big milestone this year). So all in all, I haven't gotten much done on my paper, and that's a bad thing because I have a lot of work left to do. Ugggh... I'm so ready to be finished with school!

However, my Thanksgiving jaunt to Phoenix was a very nice break. I drove up on Thursday around noon, and due to heavy traffic and loads of accidents along the road, I didn't make it there until around 2:30... just in time for dinner!

Here are the only two photos I took at the dinner hosted by my mom's cousin Joanne (I guess that makes her my first-cousin-once-removed?). It ended up being just her, her sister (and my mom's cousin also) Ardith, and me at Joanne's house in Scottsdale...

Here's the table...

Very quaint indeed.

And - in contrast - here is Ardy ripping apart the turkey carcass after dinner...

The medieval side of Thanksgiving.

We chatted for quite a while after dinner, drinking coffee & wine, and nibbling on pumpkin pie. Then Ardy and I went back to her house in central Phoenix, where I spent the night.

I should also mention that I did go bowling the night before Thanksgiving (on Wednesday) here in Tucson, and I did shock and awe the clientele at Camino Seco Bowling Lanes... with my incredibly low score and massive amounts of gutter balls. God, I suck at bowling.

Here are some of my bowling friends:

Barry (bowling team captain), Ben, and Jill

And Barb, Anna, & Alex:

Alex, Barb, and I got the three lowest scores. C'est la vie.

Now it's time to return to reading "an overview of the Sharia'a prohibition of riba" in my Islamic economics primer.

Peace.

1 comment:

JC said...

Ugh, I'm about to have to get serious about writing a paper for one of my classes.

Bowling rules. I always say that I'm doing well if I bowl a higher score than the outside temperature. In Tucson that can be pretty high though!