Thursday, November 30, 2006

Papers and Thomas Dolby

Me + Final Papers = Miserably Busy

I am actually taking school seriously for the first time this semester and realize what a freaking crapload of work I have left to do on my final papers. So if I don't write on here every day for the next week or two, now you know why. I sat in the department all day today doing research for my Saudi media paper, and I was up until 2am last night putting together a presentation for the same class. I hate myself right now for procrastinating because I am just a bit stressed.

On a positive note, I am going to a Thomas Dolby concert tonight ("She Blinded Me With Science!") who is playing here with BT... another great electronic artist.

Here's a Thomas Dolby video, if you actually don't know who he is (scandalous!)...

... with one of his better 80s songs, "Europa and the Pirate Twins"
(good thing I wear glasses!)

Hilariously, my Iraqi Arabic teacher (visiting here for the year from Baghdad) asked to come with me. He's never heard of a synthesizer and has no idea what techno music is, but he said he wants to see what American people listen to and see a live concert. Little does he know I'm one of the only weirdos in the US and A who listens to 80s synthpop such as Thomas Dolby. Bwwwahhahahaha!


Thomas Dolby, the Machine.

Anyway, I may be in for a long night as his constant questions can get rather annoying... for example, he asked me if he could bring food to the concert. I told him no, but he repeated the question again about five minutes later. I asked him what kind of food he was talking about. I was fearful that he was planning to smuggle in some shwarma or a boiled egg, but he told me he wants to bring a pocketful of peanuts. I told him that seemed reasonable enough. (OMG, peanuts?)

Lindsey calls him Encino Man because it's almost like talking to someone from another planet or century sometimes.



Sadly, however, he looks nothing like Brandon Fraser.

And on that note, I'm out of here...

1 comment:

JC said...

Geez, he does sound like Encino Man.

I'm starting to stress too. One paper that I assumed would be easy looks like it will be more work than I thought - and I haven't started it and it's due next Wednesday!! Panic. Good luck with yours!