Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Last Peppy Friday

OK, so I'm posting photos from a week ago, but I've been a little busy.

Since we took a plethora of photos throughout last weekend, I'm going to put them up in stages, and tonight I'm going to reminisce about last Friday.

First, we slept in (after a long somewhat sleepless night due to a cacophony of Tucson sounds including a police car chase on my street, a helicopter hovering for a lengthy period of time only mere inches above my apartment's roof, constant train whistles, and cats mating... all of which prompted Miguel to ask me around 4 am if I lived in a special effects studio). Then we drank coffee, ate toast, and walked to campus to check out the Homecoming festivities. Not much going on so we decided to hit the pool.

Apparently, Miguel's male government co-workers were a tad excited that he was going to be visiting U of A because they had heard rumors that "the girls in the PAC-10 (for non-sports friends... it's a college athletic conference) were hot." They then extracted a promise from him that he would take photos of the aforementioned women. I scoffed at the very primal thought of such idiocy, but once we got to the pool, I succumbed to the moronic challenge and became the chief photographer, mainly because being the typical catty chick I am, I enjoyed sneering at the girls' physiques and bathing suits and general dingbatness.

I took this picture to show Miguel's co-worker's that he was, indeed, sunbathing in the midst of young co-eds wearing classy Corona bikinis and not hiding their double chins...

Ehhh... nothing special.

But then these bitches showed up...

The girl on the left was seriously perfect. Her boobs were clearly fake, but she was pretty much flawless. The girl on the right was in the same "cool and gorgeous" clique, but not quite as pretty as the girl on the left. I started to feel like a fat old cow right about then and stopped taking photos.

So... since I was already feeling rather bookish and whale-like, we walked back to my apartment, got in my car, and went on a Mexican taqueria excursion, where we drove deep into the heart of South Tucson and absolutely gorged on Mexican food (tortas, tacos, quesadillas, horchata) from four different highly recommended and very ethnic taquerias. I thought I was going to explode by the fourth food stand (literally and figuratively), but we had to complete the mission. I gained approximately five pounds that evening.

We then stopped by University Boulevard, where a street festival was taking place. Or rather, a pep rally was in full bloom.

I don't know about you, but I hated pep rallies with a deep and abiding passion in high school. I'd sit with my non-cheerleader friends somewhere mid-bleachers and dream about being home snacking on Little Debbies and watching Oprah instead of being stuck at such a ridiculously useless school spirited event. The "jazz hands" of the cheerleaders, the stupid and meaningless speeches, and the moronic jocks gyrating around on the gym floor made me rather queasy. The only spectacle I regularly looked forward to was the dance team, which always put on an incredibly choreographed show featuring mid-air splits, synchronized tumbling, and hip-hop moves -- like "the Roger Rabbit" -- I could only imagine achieving.


To this day, I envy the "dance team" girls, which were the saving grace of the pep rally. Even now, I have a certain appreciation for these coordinated wonder women...

I'm not so fond of the pom-poms though. They lose their cool factor a bit.

Then the band came out, and Miguel noticed this drummer right away...

... who we found very amusing because, even though he's too young to know it, his bandanna makes him a clone of the Loverboy singer. (And then I couldn't stop singing, "Lovin' every minute of it...")

We finally left the pep rally, came home, cleaned up, and met Jordy & Katie out at a bar in town for Katie's b-day celebration...

Katie and I were feeling drunkenly festive here.

Group shot...

You can barely see Katie, and I look as though I have no body. Just weird big boobs attached to legs. Jordy looks stoned. But it's good of Miguel!

Luckily we ran into a Turkish friend from our department, who let us use the couch and sitting area he had been sharing with some other friends...


And then the bar staff turned on the lights, totally ruined the ambiance, and we all had to go home drunk...

The End.

2 comments:

JC said...

Yeah, pep rallies suck. Hard.

That's pretty funny that you took those pictures at the pool. The guy next to the redhead looks like a real scholar.

Laura said...

Fantastic.

Now make sure we get a hand update before the next installment (you are seeing the hand surgeon today, right?).