Sunday, November 19, 2006

Homecoming & Football Game

Since I'm stuck on the subject of sports lately... or to be specific, football... I might as well keep the ball rolling by sharing photos from last Saturday (November 11).

It was Homecoming here at UA, and Miguel and I had tickets to the UA vs. Cal Berkeley football game so we partook a bit in all the pre-game tailgate festivities. Unfortunately, we didn't know anyone hosting a private party (although I did try to sneak into the Kappa tent to steal a muffin) so we just wandered around for a few hours watching everyone else drink themselves into oblivion in the 80 degree heat.

Here was the scene on the center of campus...


I really do revel in playing the fashion paparazzi (for whatever bizarro reason) so I took lots of photos of ridiculous UA women's outfits...

This is a t-shirt cut into a strapless top...

...and paired with wedgie shorts.

As you can see the strapless tee is a hot look...

... along with the Lindsey Lohan hat & big glasses.

Here are some skirts made of tissue paper...

... and Van sneaker come-backs!

But this is the best look...

A cut t-shirt TIED into knots in the back and worn as a dress!!!

More strapless t-shirt dresses...

... the girl on the left is just about to lose an ass cheek.

Of course, Miguel loved it...

Look at that ridiculous grin.

After ogling at the total carnage in the fraternity/sorority tent section, we moved onto to the nerdier side of the tailgating festivities and encountered the band.

This might be my favorite photo of the day...

That trombonist is just. so. proud. And the sax player looks like Newman.

Miguel also noticed that the band members all had the same shoes. Men and women, big and small. They were wearing black Keds. They may have even been Capezios. They were not very masculine. But then again, look at the spangles.

The real band was followed by the alumni homecoming band...

Full of pot-bellies and slightly off-key.

Here's my second favorite photo of the day... the femullet...

This was a middle aged woman in jean shorts. I wish the photo better captured the massive amount of Sun-In bleaching and feathery layering in the front.

Once we got to the game, I found myself rather disinterested in the details of the sport. I was more interested in watching the Cal mascot in front of us, who was possibly the most lifeless honey bear and cheer leader I've ever seen in my life

I'm not kidding when I say that this was all he did the entire game... that is, he just stood there.

He never raised his arms or danced or tried to rile the Cal crowd (which unfortunately was sitting directly next to us... how would I know that I bought tickets two seats away from the Cal section?). He was like a large lump of beeswax with a sagging, mopey head and oversized sneakers. The guy inside was probably boiling alive.

Here we are at half-time... (see the red fans on the other side of the stadium)

I actually found it amusing to watch the Cal fans as their team began losing the game. There was one very overweight man who was actually turning purple. That probably isn't very funny though.

In case you didn't know (and I don't expect you to), UA -- which sucks -- beat Cal in a big upset...

Here's the scoreboard with less than a minute left.

And here is a video I took of the UA students rushing the field after the win...

At the end, you can hear my lingering obsession with watching the rival fans...

Finally, here we are post game as the students still swamped the field...

That traitor Miguel didn't put on his visor until it was clear that UA was going to win. Talk about a fair weather fan.

Anyway, that was the day.

Then we got a little drunk with my friends here...


Here I am feeling pensive with Ben at Heart Five after techno dancing for a couple hours.

Then we ate tater tots, jalapeno poppers and pizza because it seemed like the right thing to do. And of course, it wasn't. But it didn't matter because we weren't thinking straight.

The End.

3 comments:

JC said...

I love the fashion commentary. I've totally lost touch with what the kids are wearing these days.

I love visiting out there in the winter because it's so warm, but I think I would go nuts if I lived there full-time. I need a little bit of cold weather. Although at least it cools off there at night during the summer, which it doesn't do here (it can be in the 90s at 10 PM).

That bear was probably just stoned. I mean, he is from Berkeley.

Oh, and I love the new profile photo!

Italianissima said...

Those girls must have invested in a copy of the 101 ways to revamp your t-shirt book which I am ashamed to admit I bought at Urban Outfitters a few months back. I did convert one of my oversized black tees into a cute halter top but in all fairness I probably won't ever wear it - expect maybe in Jamaica in Jan. But who knows. Kit when I come visit I will bring you the book - it really is facinating :)

Chickytava said...

Ohhh P!! You just MUST bring that t-shirt book with you... we can make slutty t-shirts together and then go get drunk at the bars! I want an off-the-shoulder halter spaghetti strap tank dress, and we can make you a strapless tube top. YES!