Saturday, November 18, 2006

Ohio State-Michigan

I'm not a sports person, but today is the Ohio State - Michigan game, and that means that it's a very big day in the life of my extended family.

To make it clear, I am rooting for the Buckeyes. Both of my parents grew up in Toledo and went to Ohio State, my grandfather was buried in an Ohio State hat and surrounded by OSU memorabilia, my grandma made buckeye chocolates every year, my cousin and his wife had an OSU-themed wedding (the over-the-top nuptials had a program that listed the parents as "MVPs" and the wedding party as "the bench" and featured the alumni band playing at the reception, as well as assigned dinner tables dubbed "Script Ohio", "Big Ten," and "Sloopy"), and my uncle and aunt have an entire family room decorated in scarlet and grey...

This would not be considered extreme to a Buckeye fan.

My dad flew from Denver with my cousin to attend the game today. Turns out my dad couldn't get tickets, but he played trombone in the pre-game alumni "skull session" with
the OSU band.


My cousin, on the other hand, paid $600 for a ticket to the game (plus his airfare). From what I hear, that's actually a good deal.

I have one uncle (who married my dad's sister) who went to Michigan, and I don't think my grandfather ever really got over it. I have vivid memories of my Wolverine Uncle Will hollering at the other members of my family that "shit runs downhill." To which everyone else in my family would retort by singing, "We Don't Give a Damn for the Whole State of Michigan."

Classic. And classy.

Since my brother and I grew up in Florida and Maryland, we're pretty much out of the OSU loop, but you can't be raised by Buckeye parents and not develop at least a slight love for Ohio State (and disdain for Michigan).

So for my mom, dad, grandpa, and the rest of my extended family (minus Uncle Will)...

GO BUCKS!!!!!

1 comment:

JC said...

Welp, they pulled it off. Good game!