Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Butters, Bike Lock, Haircut, and Funding

There isn't much to report this evening except for a few odds & ends...

1. I have become addicted to watching South Park, particularly any episode involving the character Butters:


Oh my god, he is soooo cute. I love Butters!

2. My bike lock got jammed while I was working at the library yesterday. This is my own fault since I insisted on purchasing the cheapest possible u-lock at the bike store last summer. Mine was much cheaper looking than the one below:



My bike sat in two days worth of rain over Spring Break, and the lock totally rusted, but I didn't know it would completely jam and become inoperable. Luckily, the university provides a free lock cutting service (if your bike is on campus, which thankfully it was), so although I had to wait for more than half an hour for someone to come over, I did get help. I was expecting a guy to show up with bolt cutters, but instead I got a guy in a huge pick-up truck with a propane tank in the back and a very large blow torch attached. I almost made a joke about the welding scene in Flashdance, but the aging, bearded, cowboy-boot-wearing man assisting me didn't seem like the 80's dance movie type. Keeping my thoughts to myself, I watched as he literally burned my metal lock in half, while pedestrians gathered to watch the sparks fly. In retrospect, it was pretty cool... even if it cost me $30 to buy a new, better quality lock.


3. I got my hair cut tonight with a new guy, a very effeminate "Jim." My economics professor has the greatest haircut, and she gave me the name of her stylist. The true fabulousness of this information? He works at Cost Cutters (equivalent to the Hair Cuttery). Yet, I got a better hair cut tonight than I have had in years... and the price? $12.95. Yes, $12.95!! And to think I haven't paid under $40.00 for a haircut in more than five years. I'm very psyched about this.

4. Finally, more good news... I got funded here again next year!!! And my stipend goes up $500 as well! I got ranked 2nd out of 29 applicants so needless to say, I'm pretty happy (and surprised) about that. Also, not to toot my own horn, but remember my griping about writing my horrible economics mid-term paper? I ended up getting a 95%. I was even more shocked about that one, seeing that I was arguing against myself for more than half of the paper and was still trying to understand modernist theories as I was writing about them. But alas, I did succeed in pulling some more wool over some more eyes...

And now, I must go read and attempt to do a bit of school work.
Cheeri-o!!!

1 comment:

ROMA said...

Why no pictures of the hair cut?

Is your blog showing up distorted on your computer? I was flipping through next blog to find someone who is using the same style as mine just to see if it looked the same as mine. It seems the font size has changed and changes the layout on my computer but only with our backdrops??????