Sunday, March 05, 2006

It's All About Project Runway

Disclaimer: If you don't watch "Project Runway," you're out of luck here today. This is for my Project peeps...

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty psyched for the finale of "Project Runway" this Wednesday. The only potential downside to the evening is the fact that I have an 8-page paper on economic development due on Thursday morning, but that should give me some incentive to get it done a day or two early.

Anyway, in anticipation of the big event, I found some preview runway shots of the collections that were shown at Fashion Week last month in NYC. While we had some idea from last week's episode that Tim Gunn was not so excited by Daniel V.'s collection (which portended an ominous tone of doom and gloom for him in the finale), I was hoping the clothing might look better on the models. Sadly, this does not appear to be the case... frankly Daniel's collection appears very booooring. I used to work with a girl who wore grey pants with tan tops or grey tops with tan pants, and I'd cattily think, "What is she doing? Those are accessory colors! What would possess someone to want to put grey with tan, for God's sake?!?" She just blended right in with her cubicle like office camouflage. And so I get the same feeling about Daniel V's outfits. A lot of nothingness... the colors are dull, the styles are blah, and I'm very rather underimpressed. This is sad b/c I've always thought Daniel would win the whole tamale. However, he tends to be hot and cold, and this collection, well, just left me cold:

DANIEL VOSOVIC'S COLLECTION --

Here are the two "formal" type dresses.
I suppose I prefer the one on the left, but
I'm not sure I'm up with the capped sleeves.


Zzzzzz. I like the simplicity, but at the same
time, he should have done something a bit
more dramatic for the finale. I don't really
get the pleated cream skirt with the ski vest...


Here's the forgettable color combos to
which I referred above. Simple and classy
but not very memorable... the outfit on the
right is just an accessory outfit that you'd
pair with something more dramatic that doesn't
exist here. Don't match your cubicle!


I'm not digging the fabric pattern. Well, first I
should say that I'm not a pattern person.
I prefer plain colors, but I'm just bored by this.

Moving on to Santino... OK, he's the villain that everbody loves to hate. Then they tried to show his "softer" side last week. And who would have guessed that he had a black mom?!? I was very surprised only because Santino doesn't really look mixed. But anyway, it's not just his annoying personality, but I really don't like his "gloopy" clothes. However, these designs appear to be better than what he made on the show. I'm not really a person for flowy, frilly, baby-doll type dresses, but if it was your style, these wouldn't be so bad:

SANTINO RICE'S COLLECTION---

Again, the seafoam dress is totally like
nothing I would ever personally choose,
but it could look OK on the right person. That
model on the right has really gaunt and
hobbly legs. Couldn't a better shaped girl have
shown off such a short skirt? I'm not a fan of
lavender or that flouncy dress.


I noticed that Santino really likes brown
tones. The color is good on these two
models, although I'm not sure about the
baby doll see-through garment with the
skin-tight capris. Most women look like
ass in baby-doll style dresses or tops.


These are a little more interesting. However,
the model on the right reminds me of Sophia
Loren, and the outfit on the left looks like
something out of "Interview With the
Vampire." I dub thee "Bat Girl."


More flouncy crap on the left and some
classic Santino frills on the right. If this
is your style, go for it, but I like a sleeker
line...

I've always liked Chloe, even though Daniel V did beat her fair and square several times. However, based on these pictures, I would have to say that Chloe's collection is my favorite, and I want her to win:

CHLOE DAO'S COLLECTION---

Here's her model, Grace, showing my
favorite dress in the collection. I love
the back, the front, the bracelets, the
whole look! This is really cool...


Truth be known, I don't like the color
here or the sheen of the fabric, or the
style, but you've got to give her points
for couture creativity.


I'm a bit ho-hum about the patterns
here, and I don't think I like the dress
on the left very much. Does anyone
else get the Molly Ringwald vibe?
The dress on the right is a bit better.


I'm loving these two looks! Sleek,
sophisticated, mature, and feminine.
Very powerful and sexy!

There you have it... a preview for the big show. My money's on Chloe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Chloe will win it all too - Daniel V's collection was disappointing and Santino's was just OK to me.
Yay Chloe - I wish I lived in Houston so I could shop at her store - Lot 8.