Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Truly hilarious Chinese menu



For those of you who have ever lived overseas (especially in non-European countries), I know you have seen some really messed up English translations on menus. When I lived in Turkey, I had two very memorable experiences with food translations...

1. While dining in Istanbul with my friends Rich & Paul (two very funny British men), we discovered this printed in our menus at a local eating establishment: Women's Thigh Meal Balls. Of course, the two guys had to order it, and it turned out to be some sort of lamb meat balls, but we had a few good laughs over it for the rest of the weekend there.

2. My other humorous restaurant story occurred in the small village where I used to live, called Incirlik, when the following exchange took place --

Me: I'd like the filet mignon, please.
Waiter: Chicken or beef?
Me: I'm sorry, did you say "chicken"?
Waiter: Yes, chicken or beef?
Me: Ummmm, beef...
(BTW, I ended up with some sort of Salisbury steak)

OK, these stories are mildly amusing, but this morning, my friend Stephanie (who used to live with me in Turkey, and who recounted to me her own tale of once seeing the item "caesarean beef" on a menu in Turkey) e-mailed me
a link to this Chinese menu with the world's worst translations into English that could ever be possible. You absolutely must (really, I insist) check out this web site for some solid amusement.

No comments: