Sunday, March 19, 2006

Photo update of Arizona travels

Miguel has left me alone for a couple of hours to get some homework done, and now it's been almost two hours and I haven't done sh*t. I'm the worst procrastinator ever. He's over at the Frog & Firkin (a local bar) watching the U of A basketball game so I don't feel toooo guilty b/c I know that he needed his sports dose for the week... but still, I really do need to do some homework sooon!

I just uploaded some photos from our week so I will show a couple of highlights, and then I must go. It's been a crazy busy travel week, and we took 287 photos... here are a few of the best:

Sunday, March 12 -- Tubac, AZ

Here I am chilling at the Tubac Country Club. We actually
spent our day with the other minions in the shopping area
and presidio at Tubac, but then we hob-nobbed for about ten
minutes while wandering the grounds of the golf course and elite
club there... I'm trying to look rich and famous here.

Monday, March 13 -- Phoenix, AZ

Here I am with my mom's cousins... Ardy (on the left) and
Joanne. I look like a giant amongst the lilliputians here! You
can see I get my height from my dad's side of the family.

Tuesday, March 14 -- Sedona, AZ

Here we are at the end of the 3-mile "Broken Arrow" trail
overlooking a magnificent vista in Sedona.

Dinner that night --

For a lack of better options (everyone in Sedona apparently
eats before 8pm), we dined at the "Red Planet Diner," which
is decorated as though aliens are invading. Here I am on
the verge of being abducted by the UFO above me...

Random photo --

Speaking of UFOs, I took this photo on the highway outside
of Tucson the other day. Doesn't this cloud look like a spaceship?!?

Wednesday, March 14 -- The Grand Canyon

Here I am at the end of our nine-mile hike along the entire
western rim... my legs felt like elastic by this point!

Ahhh... we finally finished --

We're celebrating the end of our hike with a cup of hot
cocoa at Hermit's Rest...


And then --

We replenished our lost calories (and more) by enjoying
sugar-dipped marinated beef at Rod's Steakhouse on Route
66 in Williams, AZ. Mmmm, that was soooo tasty...

Thursday, March 15 -- Williams, AZ

Posing in front of our really cool hotel... the
Red Garter in Williams, a former brothel and
saloon in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Later that day...

Totally geeking out in Jerome, AZ -- a former
mining boomtown and now a ghost town. I love
this kind of stuff. (ummm, obviously...)

Meanwhile...

My ghost town obsessiveness totally embarrassed poor
Miguel.

Saturday, March 18 -- Willcox, AZ

In addition to ghost towns, I also looovvve trains. Here

I am posing with a statue of cowboy singer Rex Allen
while a freight train goes by. I am indeed a closet geek.

Then we went here...

This is Chiricahua National Monument, which was the
Apache's old stomping grounds. It's acres of rock spires
and definitely worth the desolate drive out to see it!

We ended the day in Tombstone --

I'm posing on the stage at the Bird Cage Theatre, which
was Tombstone's baudiest bar. The geek in me was unleashed
yet again... Miguel had to drag me out of the museum at the
end of the day.

More later... Miguel is back from the game now!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Looks like you had a great time. We need to get together to exchange pictures :) I'm glad you enjoyed Farshid's hoolahooping talents...I consider that tape one of my masterpieces...I especially liked my bizarre laughing in the background.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to Miguel for taking all of those pictures of you - geeking it up or otherwise. Our box of photos are all of Josh because he would never even think of taking taking a picture.

And, while I have no room to talk - I had no idea you were fascinated by trains! And you've got a birthday coming up...