Friday, March 31, 2006

Friday chill

Me tonight = Going to Babies-R-Us to buy my best friend Jo, and her husband Mark, a baby gift for the child that she is laboring over as I write. (Poor Jojo). Unfortunately, I belabored over what to get them for about two hours, as there were few options left on their registry, and I just enjoy playing around with baby clothes. I don't know why I tend to obsess over gifts for infants or toddlers (or children, like my niece at Christmas) but for some reason I read into everything I try to pick out. I also wanted to be clever and creative with a "gift theme."

In the end, I scrapped their registry and struck off on my own (dangerous maneuver, I know), and I came up with a great idea (I think, anyway)...

This is a hint on the overall theme:

And no, it's not about gay amphibians...
See what "Brokeback" has done?

All right, it's obvious I have absolutely nothing of interest to write about this evening. For cripe's sake, I just Googled the words "frog toad together." This is what I am doing on a Friday night? Someone please help me. I have about 30 books sitting on my floor about the Middle East, just waiting to be read, and I am Googling an Alfred Lobel picture book.

I feel even more pathetic because after my foray into Babies-R (backwards R)-Us, I stopped by my friend Greg's house this evening to pick up a few books he's lending me for one of my final papers (in Islamic Law), and he has a veritable library in his apartment with hundreds of books at his fingertips on the Middle East, and he's actually read them all.

What, you may ask, do I have on my bookshelves (aside from about 20 framed pictures, knick knacks, candles, and a plant that take up at least three full shelves of space?)... hmmm. let's see... "Harry Potter," "Fast Food Nation," "Alive," "A Million Little Pieces" (by fake writer James Frey, that big fraud), "Tucson's Mexican Restaurants," and "The New York Bartender's Guide."

Hey, I never said I was an intellectual...

Perhaps I should think of
adding this book to my paltry
library as well?

I might be a good student, but my weakness is pop culture. In fact, instead of researching tonight, I rented the movie "Junebug" (which is very good by the way). To be honest, I also don't really like non-fiction (a rather serious problem in graduate school). I am a fiction person all the way. I just get so bored with the lack of creativity in non-fiction.

OMG, what am I doing in this profession? These are the thoughts that scare me silly sometimes.

But honestly, given a choice between these two...

Isn't Harry the obvious winner?!?

No comments: