Thursday, April 05, 2007

Peepshow Creepshow... Where'd You Get Those Eyes?*

I'm going to air a pet peeve here...

I really hate it when people subconsciously tell you that you look like hell.

This afternoon after I finished babysitting, the baby's mom came home and was getting her wallet out of her bag. She glanced up at me and said, "Wow, how are you doing? You look completely exhausted!"

OK, let's face it... that's code for:

"You have massive purple bags under your eyes, and your skin is sallow, pasty, and reminds me of the color of pork lard. Your peepers are drooping and glazed and dead looking, and you appear to be on the verge of drooling because you are simply too tired to swallow your own saliva. Plus, your clothes are wrinkled and ill-put-together, and frankly it looks like you just rolled out of bed."


In other words, you look like complete ass.

* Bonus points to anyone who can name the singer of the song from my title (without Googling it!)!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Echo and the Bunneymen!

bjswift said...

Does it sound anything like the Louis Armstrong song "Jeepers Creepers?"

Anonymous said...

Not exactly...

Italianissima said...

Why it's Siouxsie and the Banshees of course...I had the "cassette single" and may still have it at my parents house :)

I think there was an accordian like sound to the song that I found mesmorizing!

Chickytava said...

BJSwift and Italianissima are both right! The song was a 1930s hit, and some of the lyrics from that song were later used by Siouxsie Sioux in her hit, "Peek-a-Boo."

JC said...

It's worse when they tell you look sick and you're not.

Anonymous said...

DAMMIT! That's what I meant!

Oh well. I have spent the last 25 years listening almost exclusively to country music. I think it's ok if I miss a question about Siouxsie...