Monday, April 30, 2007

A Day of Fun at the UA Library

I have been at the library all day long (11-4, anyway)...

... working on finishing my art history paper, putting together a 15-minute Powerpoint presentation to accompany it for class tomorrow, and then triple-checking my thesis before finally finally turning in the real, final version this afternoon.

While trapped in the basement's computer center, I watched a series of individuals come and go around me. First, there was a total stoner kid who either had terrible allergies or a cold. He kept sniffling loads of mucus in his nose and then he would sneeze right onto his hands and then touch the keyboard. It made me wonder who had been at the computer I was using before I got there. I yelled at myself for not having any anti-bacterial hand cleaner with me.

Note: I would have liked to have been at home, but I had to print four copies of my 70-page paper, plus my 20-page art history paper (entitled "The Commercialization of the Persian Carpet Industry: From Hot Commodity to Has Been," if you care), and I didn't want to use my home printer because I think it would have exploded from that much printing. Plus my home computer doesn't have Powerpoint so I really had no choice...

Anyway, the stoner kid had Jeff Spicoli-like long hair and a Garfield the Cat t-shirt...

I guess stoners like Garfield... and snacking.

He started talking on his phone, and it was a most interesting conversation. Something about "a lot of weed," "stealing the keg from Carrie's party" and "Did I call you this morning? Sorry, dude. I was wasted. It was a wacky night."

A little bit later, an older Chinese man came and sat next to me. He fell asleep at the computer with his head on the desk, and when he shook awake (literally), he had the biggest mark from the table on his forehead I've ever seen. He seemed very stressed out after his nap, which made me think he probably had shit to do that wasn't getting done.

Then a fraternity looking kid with very obvious ADD arrived. He must have stood up and stretched every three minutes of the hour he was there. And he stared at every single person that walked by. Especially women. And he spent most of the time text messaging and just looking around. I finally just stopped typing and stared right at him when I felt his gaze move my direction for the 800th time, and then he stopped looking over at me, thankfully.

But my favorite character showed up the last hour I was there. He was an older guy, who looked around 50 years old with a black silk dress shirt and black leather pants paired with socks and brown Birkenstocks. He also had a guitar in a case, which made me wonder if he was going to start busking in the middle of the library. His hair was a long, greasy, brassy blonde, his face was really craggy, he had on wrap-around reflector sunglasses, and he appeared to be wasted. Awesome!

I love the UA Library.

No comments: