Saturday, April 28, 2007

The In-n-Out Experience

In case anyone is dying for an In-n-Out Burger update... here it is:

This is the new Tucson store...

Note: When Gerry and I arrived at In-n-Out, it was still light out around 6:45pm. Luckily, the restaurant had set up an outdoor trailer, which is located to the right (out of sight) in the parking lot, where half the line queued. This made the wait about half of what it had been... meaning we got out of there at around 7:40pm.

To my annoyance, we were in line in front of two unruly 7- or 8-year old girls and their parents, who didn't appear to believe in the art of discipline. I have zero tolerance for ill-behaved children. After one of the girls bumped/smashed into me for the 100th time, I turned around with my eyes narrowed and my mouth twisted into a half-snarl, and I glowered at her for a good three seconds, trying to scare her into submission. I think the dad saw me do it because then he finally started yelling at them, and they didn't touch me the rest of the time in line.

Here's the line weaving into the restaurant to order...

I observed that about half the line was made up of fatties, which is totally unsurprising. When I told Gerry it reminded me of the Moscow McDonald's, he responded with something like, "Yeah, except that we're a bunch of fat pigs who can get fast food anytime we want."

After about 40 minutes in line, we finally got to order our food (5 cheeseburgers, 5 hamburgers, 2 double cheeseburgers, and a milkshake)...

I really appreciated the simple menu. I'm so often paralyzed by the abundance of choices in modern society that I can't make a decision. However, this made it easy.

Unfortunately after ordering though, we had to wait for another 15-20 minutes for the meal to arrive...

It looked like organized chaos back in the nether regions. And that poor girl in the front and center totally got chewed out by the chunky supervisor partially hidden to the left (named "Jazmine"), who yelled at her right in front of me for accidentally throwing away my receipt when she needed it to make my milkshake. It was a rather awkward moment. In fact, it kind of looks like she's getting yelled at again here.

When at last we got our food, we brought it back to Jordy's, where everyone oinked out. Speaking of oinking, I'm proud to say that I put away a double cheeseburger, a tray of fries, and a chocolate milkshake. I felt moderately sick for the rest of the evening, but it was worth it because truth be known, it was very possibly the best fast food burger I've ever eaten. Lots of lettuce, thick slices of tomato, grilled onions, and a very delicious sauce. I'm not a big fan of red meat, but even the burger was pretty tasty.

To sum it up... it was worth the wait.

1 comment:

bjswift said...

Awesome. In-N-Out is pretty much the only fast food where I don't feel gross after eating. It's all fresh ingredients, never frozen, they cut the potatoes right in front of you, etc, etc.

Love it, but I wouldn't wait an hour for it. People in Tucson are crazy though...I've heard of people driving all the way to Phoenix just to go to In-N-Out and then back. I'd give it another few weeks to settle down. Or go right before closing at 1am. :)