Sunday, May 27, 2007

A Day En Route to Tucson

I'm back in Tucson after my 10-day vacay to DC and Hotlanta.

I have lots of pictures to upload and stories to tell, but for now, I'm going to post a few photos from my trip home today. I've come to the realization that I rarely show pictures from my regular, daily life. So here's your treat... a few pics from my extremely exciting trip back west.

I can think of two things that make me happy when travelling... 1) Walking into a large public restroom and finding it empty. (Not that I'm going to gas it up or anything -- it's just nice to have a pee to yourself sometimes, especially in a public space, without some chick in the stall next to you) and 2) A window seat aboard a nearly empty airplane.

When I walked up to my airplane gate this morning, I thought I was on the verge of missing my flight because there was no one in line and the waiting area was empty. As it turns out, I wasn't late at all. It's just that NO ONE in America flies on the Sunday of Memorial Weekend.

I was in heaven. I practically had the airport and airplane to myself. Since most people supremely annoy me, I was thrilled by this prospect.

Check out my flight from DC to Dallas... the flight attendant said there were only 32 people on board...

I was literally all alone in the back. It was lovely. No babies crying. No fighting for an armrest. No coughing or sneezing. No people. Ahhhhhh. And I had three seats upon which to stretch out and read Jane Austen. Now that's dreamy. Plus the flight attendants gave me three drinks... a coffee, an OJ, and a water. Perhaps a champagne would have completed the drink ensemble, but my liver probably needs a break anyway.

Once I got to Dallas, my flight was unfortunately delayed by more than an hour due to inclement weather. I decided to park my ass on the carpet behind a massage chair so I could sprawl out and lean against the wall and talk to Jojo on the phone.

Little did I know that the massage chair was "home base" for a spirited game of tag going on between a bunch of 6-year olds who were also waiting for my flight. I soon became Dallas International Airport's local child magnet.

These two girls immediately put me under interrogation...

I took this picture of Chelsea and Jordan, seriously cute 1st graders, behind the massage chair. They were totally unafraid of strangers. I kept wondering where their parents were, but I was also secretly pleased that they were allowed to act like normal children and weren't being kept on a leash.

Our conversation went something like this:

C: What are you doing?
Me: (on phone) What?
C: What are you doing?
Me: Sitting here.
C: Oh.
Me: What are you doing?
C: Playing hide and seek with Jordan.
J: Do you want to see my puppy? He's new...
Me: Well, I'm on the phone with my friend. Just a minute...
J: Holding this thing out toward me...


Me: Oh, what is this?
J: It's a Perfect Petzzz. He sleeps and breathes and if you hold him to your ear, you can hear and feel him breathing. (Pushing him toward my face).
Me: Oh, you're right. That's cool. (Actually, it was.)
J: He cost $35. His name is Orlando because I got him at Disney World.
Me: Well, isn't that clever... and very nice of your parents.
J: My parents always say yes to anything I want.
Me: I guess you're pretty lucky then. (Feeling a little annoyed now. Looking down... Chelsea is pretending to be a dog and licking my shoe. Yes... licking my shoe.) Ummm, you'd better not do that. My shoes are pretty dirty.
C: Woof! Woof!

And it went on for at least ten minutes until I finally made eye contact with the mothers, who frankly seemed pleased that someone else was entertaining them for a while. A lady on my other side snarkily said I should consider taking them home... "They appear to be yours for the taking" was what she said.

Once we finally climbed aboard our jet, I was happy to be alone again after determining the children had been sequestered in the back. I had another whole row to myself.

I never take pictures from the airplane window, but Tucson always kind of shocks me by its oblivion-like appearance from the air...

Brown, brown, brown. Rectangular. Angular. Brown.

East coast = green & grey. Southwest = brown & blue.

And that's my life today.

No comments: