Friday, May 04, 2007

USAF, Tequila, and Raw Sewage

I've spent most of my day running around.

First, I met my Iraqi Arabic teacher at Starbuck's this morning so he could review the 300-word Arabic essay I have to turn in on Wednesday as part of my final exam for my regular Arabic class.

We had to write about an experience that changed our lives. So I wrote mine about joining the military and living in Turkey.


Speaking of... here's a picture representing both of those things:

Some people still can't believe I was in the military so here's your proof.

In this pic, I was in the cockpit jumpseat of a USMC C-130 flying over the Taurus Mountains in southern Turkey...

I needed a barf bag about 45 minutes after that photo... and I never get plane sick. That was an insane flight. I was friends with the aircrew, and they even admitted to me later that they all felt slightly nauseous.

Anyway -- back on topic -- I went to the library to slowly and painfully type two pages in Arabic, and then I headed to the gym, where they refused to let me in because I'd left my student ID card in the printer at the library. Hating myself completely, I had to turn around and go back to the library, find my card (luckily still there), and then go back to the gym to go swimming.


My arms were killing me today because this is the third day in a row I've swum, and by the time I hit the 20 minute mark, my shoulder muscles began to feel much the way I imagine shredded pork looks sitting on a sandwich bun. In other words, they burned like hell.


Adding insult to injury, a guy jumped into the lane next to mine wearing UA Swim Team lycra shorts, and he lapped me three times in less than five minutes.

I was moving about as fast as the Baby Ruth bar in
Caddyshack compared to this guy...

Totally demoralizing.*

Tonight, I am heading to a "clothing exchange" party with some girls from my department. Then I'm picking up Ingrid, and we're going to a "Chili Con Carnival" party at my friend Erin's house... complete with sangria, margaritas, and a pinata.


And probably lots of drunk people.
_________________________________________

* This image reminded me of the time my friend Chandy and I decided to get really ambitious and swim to this castle about 1/2 mile off the beach in southern Turkey. We were about 2/3 of the way to the castle's island, when a giant human turd floated right in front of us. There was no turning back or escaping the wave of effluence heading our way... indeed the Turks pumped their raw sewage right into the channel in which we were swimming.

Definitely one of the grossest moments of my life. **

** Absolute grossest moment was falling down inside a port-a-potty after a few cocktails... not the hole, thank god, but it was plenty disgusting just to be splayed out on the floor of the tiny john. I had to throw away the entire outfit I was wearing.

1 comment:

JC said...

No pain, no gain. So they say.

Those are definitely 2 "Eww" stories!