Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Upcoming Family Fun!

I'm almost DONE! I only have one more (easy) final, and it's all over.

I can't believe it!

My Arabic test was as horrific as I imagined it might be. Although it was scheduled for two hours, it took me three full hours to finish it, and I didn't even recheck my answers. It was a total grammar nightmare. Now I know why Arabic ranks with Chinese as one of the world's hardest languages. Hellfire and brimstone, that's what it is.

Aside from that --- I am CRAZY busy. My mom, brother, and sister-in-law are arriving tomorrow, and my dad is showing up Friday. This should be an interesting logistics/social scenario seeing as: 1) they are all staying in different hotels (except my brother & his wife, of course); 2) my father is staying in BFE at the Airport Holiday Inn and is not renting a car and thinks I will be his chauffeur because he is the world's most frugal person; 3) my mother thinks my father is a douchebag; and 4) my brother thinks my father is a doofus.

Better yet, we all get to spend the day together on Saturday! Hopefully no one will end up with a fork in his or her eye.

Here is the line-up of the (un)usual suspects...

# 1:

Suspect: Mother
Location: The Hilton Hotel
Crimes: Overeagerness, Insistence on Attending Lame Graduation Ceremony

# 2:

Suspect: Father
Location: Holiday Inn Airport (AKA "the other side of the world without a car")
Crimes: Parsimony; General Tomfoolery and Disorganization

# 3 and # 4:

Suspects: Brother and Sister-In-Law
Location: Swanky Hacienda del Sol
Crimes: Occasional cantankerousness and bossiness from male subject. Laid-back wife balances these personality flaws.

Furthermore --- I am babysitting the next two days in the morning. My mother is coming to "babysit with me" at Little S's house on Friday, my brother & his wife are going to Mexico that same day and want us to meet them later in Nogales after we're done babysitting, and my father arrives at an unknown time on Friday (he is, of course, flying stand-by) and apparently will not have transportation from the airport. Oh, but wait, he's staying near the airport so perhaps he'll find a shuttle van. Well, let's hope so. And, I should mention, my father is in New Orleans at Jazzfest right now on a Vietnam War reunion trip with his (former) stoner friends so I have no way of getting in touch with him.

Do I sound a little stressed?!?!?

Anyway, whatevs... I'm almost done!

PS - Big thanks to my girl KO and her Biscuit-loving husband in Seattle...


They sent this to me... which I found in my mailbox yesterday...



This is what was inside the package... a little something from their recent trip to New Zealand...

Sorry it's blurry. I was in a hurry, but it's Australian lip gloss! It tastes like grape and looks very cute on!

And in a mini-Oscar speech, aside from my family (who I do love very much and am honestly happy they're all coming to help me celebrate), I just wanted to say thanks to all of my friends who have sent me great great care packages over the past two years. I love you guys!! (Special thanks to KC, JoJo, Steph, KO, PP, and MS, who've put the most time and effort into being there for me from afar.)

PPS - Not sure how often this will be updated in the coming days b/c I'm just a little busy.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I sure hope your Dad doesn't read this.

Sorry I suck on the care package front but shouldn't I get some couch love?

Congrats again. Hope to see you very soon!

Chickytava said...

No, he doesn't read it. I hope I haven't sounded too harsh though. He's just a character, that's all, and essentially the opposite of my uber-planning mother & brother. No wonder my parents got divorced.

And L, here's some couch love... SWAK.

JC said...

Great post! I think they do have an airport shuttle. But Dad might be expected to tip the driver. :/