Sunday, September 24, 2006

Admission of a Dull Life

I have some disappointing news: my potential swimming partner didn't join me last Friday.

Honestly I'm not sure why. She was in class on Friday, but she was dressed in thick black garments (sort of funeral-like, actually), and she didn't comment on the pool at all. Of course, I wasn't about to bring it up either (as I was secretly relieved that I wouldn't have to make small talk with her en route the rec center... let alone go through the awkwardness of the locker room) so the topic passed unspoken, and after class I ran out to my bike and escaped by myself to the pool, where I enjoyed a nice 30 minutes of non-embarrassing swimming and then a couple hours of laying blissfully under a palm tree reading a text book.

Perhaps she is planning to join me another day. Or maybe my facial expressions of shock and horror, which I really did try to hide last week, scared her away from seriously coming along with me.

This weekend has been full of absolutely nothing... watched a movie with Lindsey, her girlfriend Wafa, and our other friend Alana on Friday night ("Derailed" with Jennifer Aniston -- ridiculous plot and a waste of brain matter)... then ran errands on Saturday.

I've decided that my fat ass is spending way too much time in front of the computer -- so I went to Michael's Crafts and bought a glue gun. I figure if anything will inspire me to move away from the computer screen, it is the prospect of sitting on my fat ass making something crafty. So my new idea is to make magnets for people for Christmas (seeing as I am a poor starving student). Not just any old magnets, but cool, chic, crafty magnets with glue gunned crap all over them (glitter, pictures, paint)... and I also bought resin which you can use to fill things like bottle caps, and then it hardens, and you can "freeze" stuff inside of it. Anyway... just a warning to my friends -- you're getting crafts this year for X-Mas! You will like it... or else.

I also went grocery shopping and prowled around Target for a while. On Saturday evening, I downloaded a zillion Rick Wakeman songs for less than $10 from some Russian music website (and I have now been happily listening to 70s synthesizer for the past day and a half), and then I watched the French movie "L'Enfant" that I rented from Hollywood Video. It's the 2005 "Palme d'Or" winner at Cannes, and actually, I must say, it was very very good.

Today I read in bed all morning (Women in the Qur'an by Barbara Stowasser... actually not a bad read) to prepare for Quranic Thought class on Monday, made myself a hot cinnamon roll (no, KC, not from a can... but I was inspired by your e-mail to buy a pre-made one from the bakery section at the grocery store on Saturday!), and sipped on a nice steaming cup of coffee. However, as part of my effort to save $$, I bought Folger's coffee grounds at the store, and I have to be honest, it's absolutely god-bloody-awful. What was I thinking? It's so worth $2 more to get the good stuff. Bleeeccchhhh!

I also went to the pool today to swim laps, and there was a girl next to me who had no arms. She was a really good swimmer though (frog kicking and also a form of back stroke). I just kept wondering how she was going to get out of the pool. However, I left before she was finished swimming so the question will continue to loom in my mind.

On that note, I really am vowing to go to bed earlier and spend less time on this machine (I'm not even doing pictures tonight!!). So I shall go now. Goodnight!

No comments: